world

Gates: Troop buildup 'not the last chance'

Defense secretary says U.S. still plans for success in Iraq

WASHINGTON -- Defense Secretary Robert Gates held out hope Tuesday that U.S. forces might be able to start leaving Iraq before the end of the year, if daunting conditions including subdued violence and political reconciliation are met.\nGates told lawmakers the current buildup of forces by 21,500 troops is "not the last chance" to succeed in Iraq and conceded that he's considering what steps to take if it doesn't work.\n"I would be irresponsible if I weren't thinking about what the alternatives might be," Gates told the Senate Armed Services Committee.\nBut he asserted, "We at this point are planning for success," and he described in sketchy form what could bring about the beginning of a withdrawal.\n"It seems to me that if the plan to quiet Baghdad is successful and the Iraqis step up" by providing promised forces of their own and move toward resolving the country's bitter political disputes, Gates said, "I would hope that we would be able to begin drawing down our troops later this year."\nGates said last month that the troop increase seems likely to last months, not years. The outgoing top general in Iraq, George Casey, has said he hoped some of the extra troops could start returning home by late summer.\nGates was grilled on the war as the full Senate remained stalled on debating a resolution that would join most Democrats and some Republicans in a stinging critique of President Bush's course in Iraq.\nHis testimony came, too, with U.S. and Iraqi forces on the verge of opening their campaign to subdue the insurgency in Baghdad. Gates said the operation was to have started on Monday but "it's probably going to slip a few days, and it's probably going to be a rolling implementation."\nGates did not say what other options he was considering if the addition of U.S. forces fails to control the violence in Baghdad and western Anbar province, where the Sunni insurgency is based. But he and Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, sought to assure lawmakers that the additional troops pegged for Iraq will go there with sufficient equipment for the fight.\nThey said a shortage of armored vehicles in one phase of operations will be remedied by July, and troops who need them will not be deployed from their compound in Iraq until the vehicles are supplied.\nPace said the number of ammunition-packed roadside bombs encountered by U.S. forces has doubled in a year, and these weapons now include a deadlier version coming from Iran.\nUpdated jamming equipment and other disabling tactics have proved effective in rendering more of the bombs harmless, he said, but U.S. casualties have remained about the same because of the higher numbers and deadlier nature of the explosives.\n"The amount of ammunition available is incredible," Pace said, despite the clearing of 430,000 tons of ammunition from more than 15,000 sites.