Pacers trade Jackson, Harrington to Warriors

Warriors send Dunleavy, Murphy to Pacers in deal

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Indiana Pacers traded Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson to the Golden State Warriors on Wednesday for forwards Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy as part of an eight-player deal designed to shake up two struggling teams.\nThe Pacers also sent guard Sarunas Jasikevicius and forward Josh Powell to the Warriors, who gave up forward Ike Diogu and guard Keith McLeod.\n"We feel we made a pretty significant trade for the franchise that will be good for both teams," Pacers president Larry Bird said in a statement. "We feel the players we got will make a significant difference in the franchise."\nMurphy, Dunleavy and Diogu had been reduced to high-priced backups for failing to measure up to new coach Don Nelson's expectations this season, while Jackson was dogged by legal troubles and attitude problems in Indiana.\n"We have acquired players who will fit in very well with our particular style of basketball," said Chris Mullin, the Warriors' executive vice president of basketball operations. "As with any trade, we also had to surrender players that we like both on and off the court. I think this transaction will be good for both teams and all of the players involved."\nHarrington -- one of the Warriors' top targets in free agency last season -- averaged 15.9 points and 6.3 rebounds this season, second on the team in both categories to Jermaine O'Neal. Jackson has scored 14.1 points per game but embarrassed the club with an early-season fight at a strip club and a spat with coach Rick Carlisle last month.\nMurphy, a former Notre Dame star who has been bothered by injuries this season, is averaging 8.9 points and 6.0 rebounds -- both his lowest totals since his rookie year. Dunleavy has scored 11.4 points in another disappointing season, so the deal rids the Warriors of three players who didn't fit with Nelson's ideas -- including two prominent targets of his criticism this season.\nJackson, the sharp-shooting guard, has been almost nothing but trouble for the Pacers this season, beginning with a fight outside an Indianapolis strip club Oct. 6. He is scheduled to go to trial Feb. 12 for firing a gun during the fracas.\nLast month, the Pacers briefly suspended Jackson for a heated exchange with Carlisle, who kicked him off the bench during a loss to Cleveland. The Warriors' last look at Jackson was impressive, however: Earlier this season, Jackson hit a 3-pointer with 1 second left in a 108-106 victory for Indiana at Golden State.