Dench gives plenty of reason to take 'Notes'

Dame Judi Dench has reunited with her "Iris" director, Richard Eyre, in yet another fascinating performance in what is one of the best films of the year. Dench carries the title of "dame" well; she is like a female version of King Midas -- her acting turns films to gold. Dench's acting is matched by Cate Blanchett, who gives a worthy, Golden Globe-nominated performance as Sheba Hart.\nSheba is unfulfilled with her marriage to Richard (Bill Nighy). She finds being a mother to two children, one of whom who is mildly retarded, exhausting. Seeking freedom from her family, Sheba takes on a job as an art teacher at a British high school. Being the most attractive member on the staff, she immediately stands out to her fellow coworkers and students, especially Barbara, the school's prim and proper history teacher. From the moment Sheba welcomes Barbara with a warm smile, Barbara becomes infatuated with her and obsesses over becoming her best friend and mentor.\nOne evening, Barbara stumbles upon Sheba engaging in an affair with Steven (Andrew Simpson), one of her 15-year-old students. However, Barbara sees this as an opportunity to become closer with Sheba, as she promises to keep the affair a secret on the condition that Sheba ends it. But when Steven manipulates Sheba into feeling sorry for him, their affair continues to flourish. And when Barbara realizes her love for Sheba is not a mutual feeling, she seeks revenge by revealing Sheba's affair to one of their coworkers.\nThis story of obsession, betrayal and consequences will keep you at the edge of your seat. The film is steadily paced and perfectly put together. Although the cinematography is beautifully shot, it is the acting that stands out the most. Dench is, without a doubt, terrifying as Barbara. Yet, she still manages to come off as captivating no matter how miserable and bitter her character might be. \nThough "Notes" is both a morally wrong and disturbing story, I couldn't help becoming engaged in it up until the ending.