Crash kills Ball State student, golfer

Freshman died after collision with SUV

MUNCIE, Ind. -- A head-on crash near campus killed a Ball State University freshman who was a member of the school's golf team.\nTravis J. Smith, 19, of Terre Haute was a front-seat passenger in a car driven by a 21-year-old student that crossed into the path of an oncoming sport utility vehicle Saturday night, authorities said. He was killed instantly, Delaware County Coroner Jim Clevenger said.\n"The bad news is a seat belt possibly would've saved this young man's life," Clevenger said. "The air bag deployed but did not keep him from making contact with the dashboard."\nThe student driving the car had been drinking but was not arrested as preliminary tests showed that he was not legally intoxicated, city police Sgt. Brad Arey said. The driver was treated and released from the hospital, and the case will be referred to the county prosecutor's office, Arey said.\nFirefighters rescued victims trapped in both vehicles, with the two women in the SUV taken to Ball Memorial Hospital. Updated information on their condition was not immediately available.\nSmith played basketball at Terre Haute South High School, where he was an all-state golfer and finished fourth in last year's state tournament.\nHe played in 18 competitive rounds for Ball State during last fall's season, leading the Cardinals at the 18-team Xavier Invitational with a ninth-place finish.