Police arrest dog-napper

A 100-pound American bulldog is safely back in the hands of its owner after police cracked a case of dog-napping Wednesday.

The dog's owner, Brady Gillihan, 31, called police Wednesday morning and said he was inside the Pizza Hut at 110 E. Winslow Rd. on Tuesday night picking up a carry-out order. When he returned to his car, Gillihan found that his dog, which he had left in the car for a few minutes, was missing, said Bloomington Police Department Detective Sgt. David Drake, reading from a police report.

Gillihan received a call Wednesday morning from a man who said he had the dog and would be willing to return it for a monetary reward, Drake said. The two men arranged to meet later that morning in front of Kleindorfer's Hardware & Variety Store, 1401 W. Kirkwood Ave. Gillihan contacted police about the situation, and they accompanied Gillihan to the meeting.

Drake said officers witnessed Lloyd R. Turpin, 34, 5010 S.Stanford Road, arriving at the meeting place with the dog. They arrested Turpin on preliminary charges of theft.

Drake said Turpin was out on bond for other theft charges and has another pending case involving theft and forgery charges.

More