IU to celebrate pre-Kwanzaa festivities

More than 150 people are expected for the annual pre-Kwanzaa celebration Wednesday in the Grand Hall of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center. The event, organized annually by the Black Culture Center, is open to everyone.\n"It's something put on basically to raise awareness in the IU student body about Kwanzaa because it's something for everyone and not just people of a particular race or religion," said senior Chanel Esters.\nKwanzaa is an African-American and Pan-African holiday celebrated throughout the world, according to the official Kwanzaa Web site. The site adds that it is a cultural celebration that focuses on what it means to be African. \nIU's pre-Kwanzaa celebration will feature student presentations on the seven principles of Kwanzaa and a keynote speaker. \n"This is my first Kwanzaa," said sophomore Brannon Smith. "I was asked to present and thought it would be interesting because I am an African American, but I've never participated in it before. All of the different principles promote unity and bring communities and people together." \nIn the past, the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center has brought dancers and musicians from around the world, as well as Maulana Karenga, who created the Kwanzaa holiday, to Bloomington for its pre-Kwanzaa celebration. This year, the ceremony will feature local musical talent, Esters said. \nFollowing the speaker and presentations, there will be a reception where guests can feast on food catered by Smokin' Jack's Rib Shack. \nThe event will be held in the Grand Hall of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center from 7 to 9 p.m. today.