Hoosiers to host Spartans, Wolverines this weekend

IU tries to snap 13-game losing streak in process

The IU women's volleyball team looks to break its 13-game losing streak when it tackles Michigan State and Michigan this weekend.\nThe Hoosiers will try to pick up victories at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the University Gym. \nThe team knows the streak is now a psychological issue, senior defensive specialist Sara Diehl said.\n"The Big Ten is a very tough conference," Diehl said. "It's hard to get on a roll when you don't start getting wins. We started out with a great (win) against Michigan, but we need to get back on track. If we get our mental toughness back, we can finish strong."\nFriday's game brings the team that started the losing streak, Michigan State, back into Bloomington. The Spartans beat IU Sept. 23 in four games to notch IU's first Big Ten loss. Since then, the Hoosiers have moved their record to 1-13 in the conference and 10-16 overall, while Michigan State has increased to 6-8 in the Big Ten and 15-9 overall. The game will broadcast on tape delay on Comcast SportsNet Chicago at 4 p.m. Saturday.\nThe Hoosiers will again try Saturday to beat Michigan, the only team IU has been able to beat in Big Ten play. IU beat the then-No. 19 Wolverines Sept. 22 in five games, a match in which the Hoosiers set a school record for blocks in a five-game match recording 23. The Wolverines have increased their record to 5-9 in the Big Ten and 18-9 overall after their home opening loss to IU but have dropped out of the polls.\nThe team has been working defensively to prepare for Michigan and Michigan State's outside and middle attacks, IU coach Katie Weismiller said. The Hoosiers have not forgotten about offense, though, she said.\n"We need to come out and be the aggressors," Weismiller said. "We need to be aggressive from the service line, but most importantly, we need to terminate balls. Our passing has been much better so we just need to terminate balls now."\nWeismiller said IU's offense and defense will need to execute to get the wins, but she doesn't expect the games to be easy.\n"I expect (Michigan and Michigan State) to have a balanced offensive and outsides that can terminate the ball," Weismiller said. "They will come out aggressive and take some big swings against us."\nDespite the challenges, Diehl said she still thinks the team can win the matches.\n"I expect two tough matches this weekend," Diehl said. "Michigan is out for revenge, but we have the same team that started out against them, and it was a great game. I think we can do it again against them"