Grad student displays 'active sedation'

'Zombie-like' art invades the Buskirk Chumley Theater

Sitting in front of the TV or participating in any other mind-numbing activity might not be the best way to spend the weekend, especially after seeing artist Dara Engler's active sedation series.\nThe Buskirk-Chumley Theater will feature the works of Engler, a Hope School of Fine Arts graduate student, as part of its monthly artist series in its Textillery Gallery. Engler will answer questions about her work at a reception from 5 to 7 p.m. today at the gallery on the second floor of the theater.\nEngler's art focuses on what she calls "active sedation," a process in which people bored with the everyday activities of their lives "relax by entering a zombie-like state of hibernation and turning their brains off."\nEngler believes by numbing their minds, people do not have to acknowledge the monotony that has become their lives.\nThe subjects of Engler's paintings are often portrayed indoors, with minimal lighting. They usually have unhealthy, greenish looking skin, are overweight and seem unaware of their surroundings. In one painting, a woman knits a scarf but doesn't realize it has become abnormally long and continues to knit away.\nEngler, originally from New Hampshire, said she stumbled on capturing this sedative behavior while trying to think of any idea for her new pieces.\n"I was having artists' block and began making a list of easier things I'd rather be doing than painting," she said. "Then this came to me. In this case, my inspiration was not being inspired at all."\nHowever, Engler said she doesn't mean to condemn people in similar situations to her paintings.\n"It's more of a self-criticism than a societal criticism -- to each his own," she said. "If I wasn't an artist, these types of things could easily be my hobbies, and I'd probably be happy and content with that because I wouldn't know anything else. It's healthy to get out of the house, but I understand not wanting to."\nBuskirk gallery coordinator Ashley Robison said she is thrilled to bring Engler's East-coast influence to the gallery.\n"We're generally trying to encompass Midwestern-folk art aspects in Bloomington, yet also bring in all the other diverse influences the University and town offers," Robison said.\nThe theater chose Engler's work nearly a year ago for display.\n"(There is a) striking difference between style and the subjects," Robison said. "The art has such an incredible hypertense energy yet the subject matter is so hypnotic and sedated."\nBarry Gealt, one of Engler's fine arts professors, said he agrees.\n"She is a director of a complex visual mini drama," he said in an e-mail. "Her works show humor, laziness, anger and love and many other essences of daily life. She is a very special young artist."\nEngler's work will be in the gallery through Nov. 30 and is available for sale.