Jordan River Forum

What 'is' isn't what's fair

Regarding the staff editorial "School of Hard Knocks" (Oct. 17):\n"It is what it is" -- the Indiana Daily Student used this phrase to describe graduate students' difficult financial experience. According to the editorial staff of the IDS, graduate students shouldn't complain about their poor living and working conditions because we should know what we're in for when we arrive. Even if we did know in advance that the administration of the University would reduce health care benefits without warning or would dangle dental care in front of us and then remove it, awareness doesn't mean that we shouldn't fight for change. Exploitation isn't fair just because it's common.\nAlthough the IDS claims that we have high-paying jobs in store for us in the future, it fails to recognize that, when the University hires graduate student labor under cheap labor conditions, it deprives us of those future "high-paying jobs" (if you browse the public listings of IU faculty salaries, you will see that many of those wages, especially in the humanities and social sciences, are not particularly high). Today, adjunct and temporary faculty positions (which often pay even worse, in wages and benefits, than graduate assistant positions) are rapidly replacing tenure-track faculty jobs. Just last year, IU decided to leave 23 vacant faculty positions unfilled to save money. Those extra classes will likely be taught by AIs, adjuncts and temporary instructors -- and that means 23 "high-paying" jobs that we won't have access to when we receive our Ph.Ds. The bottom line is, if we don't demand fair treatment now, universities around the country won't feel the need to pay reasonable wages to hire full-time, permanent faculty. As a result, my "high-paying" job as an English Ph.D. may very well be an adjunct position that pays under $20,000 a year.\nThe Graduate Employees Organization has appreciated support from the IDS in the past, and we hope that this last editorial was an error in judgment. Instead of lamenting that grad school "is what it is," we think that students should act to change what "is" into what's fair.

Ursula McTaggart\nGraduate Employees Organization

IDS neglects \ngraduate, part-time, professional students

Regarding the staff editorial "School of Hard Knocks" (Oct. 17):\nThe IDS Editorial Board has completely lost touch with the student community. Their latest editorial, "School of Hard Knocks," just continues the clueless detachment exhibited in "Bloomington: Hella Poor" (Oct. 5). Both editorials derisively mock students who struggle to afford to live and study in Bloomington, comparing their hardship with being unable to afford coordinating Ugg boots and North Face jackets. "Hard Knocks" ignores key facts about graduate students' legitimate concerns, including the recent, severe hike in health care expenses under the University's plan. Maybe the Editorial Board should check the IU Fact Book -- they might learn that more than 22 percent of the students on the Bloomington campus are graduate or professional students and that more than 11 percent of students on this campus are part-time students. These students are as much a part of IUB as the Editorial Board, and their voices have every right to be heard. If the IDS wants to have any credibility with the campus community, the Editorial Board should try venturing beyond Ernie Pyle Hall and North Jordan Avenue. They might learn that there is more than one college experience in Bloomington.

Brian Kanowsky\nSenior

Support INPIRG!

INPIRG, the Indiana Public Interest Research Group, is a student-run, student-funded nonprofit organization at IU. Our organization runs four student activist campaigns: Hunger and Homelessness, the Campus Climate Challenge, Higher Education Affordability and the New Voters Project. Last spring we raised nearly $10,000 for local and international poverty relief through our annual Hunger Cleanup, lobbied the federal Commission on Higher Education for better student loan funding and researched ways to increase the use of clean energy resources here at IU. We're able to make a difference on these issues because every year, thousands of students like you become members of INPIRG by pledging to add a $10 fee onto their bursar bill each semester. Our membership pledges allow us to hire professional staff to work on these issues, run an internship program on campus and ensure that we are an effective voice for students here at IU. During the week of October 23, INPIRG members will be stationed around campus asking students to pledge. I ask that the students of IU choose to pledge INPIRG during this time so we can continue to represent their interests through our important programs.\nSincerely,

Joanna Lekkas\nPresident, Indiana Public Interest Research Group

Column = dirty business

I have never witnessed such an error in judgement with the publication of the opinion column from Tuesday, Oct. 17, entitled "Greek Speak" (by Scott Leadingham). First of all, to write an article about the lame and fictitious comments written on a bathroom stall, and secondly, to single out ONE chapter, in a community of MANY, is not only unjustifiable, but also inexcusable. There are zero grounds for such accusations to a specific chapter, as well as the entire greek community. The fact that there is a warning before the biased rebuttals to these comments only leads me to believe that this article was written in anger from not being involved in these great organizations. Instead of producing lies and false accusations from comments that are written on a wall where people do their "dirty business," I think it would be wise to take the time and point out the positive aspects of chapters and the greek community as a whole. To single out a chapter that you know nothing about is simply ignorant and shows evidence of inexperience and immaturity. According to IDS' Web site, the opinion page is "reserved for the newspaper's stance on issues affecting students, the community and the world." I highly doubt that the content on bathroom walls is of concern to IU students, let alone the community and world, and furthermore, it seems the longer one sits in a bathroom stall, the more preposterous the interpretations become.

Alexandra Bernardi\nSenior

IDS has misplaced priorities

Regarding the organization of Monday's Indiana Daily Student:\nWhat kind of world are we living in, where a senior in high school that flakes out on another college and a fluke football victory are more important than raising $109,000 for Breast Cancer research? I am appalled by the Indiana Daily Student's decision to run two shallow, nonimportant sports articles ahead of a truly wonderful event. Is the IDS so desperate for readers that they will print out any sort of "eye candy" to grab the students' attention? Why does the IDS feel that $109,000 was not good enough to be mentioned before two measly athletic triumphs? It is reasons like this that IU will forever be linked to partying and sports instead of more positive things like the miracle of a community coming together for the betterment of mankind. It is great to hear about IU's athletic successes and what not, but that money raised by the greek community on Friday will go a lot further for this world than a basketball player and a victorious effort by the football team.\nThe real winners from this weekend were not Coach Hep and the football team, but breast cancer patients and their families. I attended both BMOC and the football game, and those last 20 seconds ticking away from the game clock don't even come close to the joy of hearing the Zetas announce the final amount of money raised. I had never been more proud to be a Hoosier than I was Friday night, and I know I wasn't the only one that felt that way. Hopefully next year, when BMOC raises another $100,000 for Breast Cancer research, the IDS won't sell out and have the front page article be about a high school kid.

Kevin Woods\nSophomore

Protestors right to disrupt Columbia talk

There are two major flaws in the Indiana Daily Student editorial board's article, "Columbia Crash" (Oct. 13). One, freedom of speech includes the right to protest, and two, "legitimate debates" do not include people who threaten or use violence against the opposing party. Protest is a form of political engagement protected by the Constitution. The event at Columbia was not about one group preventing the free speech of another group. Karina Garcia, an attendee and organizer said, "One group was promoting hatred and violence, and the other group was loudly opposing it." During the event, protestors stormed the stage and unfurled a banner that read, "No One Is Illegal," and one of the protestors was kicked in the head. Attacking someone physically is suppression; protest is not.\nI agree with the IDS, "Just because someone disagrees with someone else does not give them any less a right to express their opinion." However, excluding the Minutemen from the arena of legitimate debate is not based on a disagreement of opinion. Minutemen sit out in the desert with guns threatening to shoot immigrant families and have said, "It should be legal to shoot illegals." Jim Gilchrist is friends with Council of Conservative Citizens member Barbara Coe who regularly calls Chicanos savages. The CCC is a white supremacist organization that is officially opposed to "miscegenation." Gilchrist ran for Congress under the American Independent Party; the party founded by George Wallace. And his xenophobic views include the absurd idea that Chicanos are attempting a violent takeover of the Southwest. The legitimate debate on immigration does not include people who, at the worst, threaten murder.\nFor footage that wasn't shown on Fox or CNN, try Democracy Now! or Univision. Democracy Now!'s coverage also features a debate between Gilchrist and Garcia which shows Gilchrist red-baiting and then leaving because he dislikes what Garcia says. Garcia's statements about Gilchrist may not be respectful, but instead of challenging them and engaging her in debate, Gilchrist cuts off the interview while threatening legal action. This controversy is not about freedom of speech; it is about criminalizing dissent and legitimizing hate speech.

Bridget Kennedy\nSenior

Let's Clean It Up!

The recent scandal in the U.S. House of Representatives involving former Congressman Mark Foley and his relationship with underage House pages is appalling on many levels. Obviously, it is reprehensible that a sexual predator was taking advantage of teenagers in the halls of Congress. It is equally disturbing that Republicans in the House Leadership knew of Mark Foley's inappropriate relationship with House pages and covered it up for months and, in some cases, years. \nThis is the latest example of how broken Washington is. Clearly, our leaders are putting their own political interests ahead of our children, and Congress is so corrupt and divided by partisanship that it is unable to do the people's business. We cannot allow the House of Representatives to continue to be sidetracked by ethics violations, scandals and partisan bickering—the work of Congress is too significant and the issues our country faces are too important. Enough is enough. We need a change and some new ideas to get our country back on the right track. \nI believe that we must overhaul the House Ethics Committee if we are serious about cleaning up the mess in Washington. Since April, I have been calling for the complete restructuring of the Ethics Committee and the way in which ethics complaints are handled. The current system of self-examination is not working. My proposal includes the creation of a bipartisan panel of former members of Congress to replace the current Ethics Committee comprised of sitting members of Congress. Former Congressman Lee Hamilton, who represented Southern Indiana's 9th District for 34 years, has endorsed my plan and he is exactly who I had in mind when I developed the proposal. \nWhile there are many problems facing our great nation, there is nothing that we can't solve with straight talk, a little foresight and good ideas. That is what being a public servant is all about—implementing sound policy to help the people. As your representative, I will work to restore honor to Congress, reach across party lines to get things done and bring the change that Hoosier families need.

Baron Hill \nIN-9th District Congressional Candidate

B.Y.O.B. a bad idea

In response to the October 13th's B.Y.O.B article ("B.Y.O.B." by Ariel Ivas), I think on-campus drinking is a great idea. Just what IU needs. After all, Bloomington is practically a dry town as it is with its numerous liquor stores and bars selling and serving discounted beer on a daily basis. Some places, like the Bluebird Night Club, practically give beer away at 15-cents per draft on certain nights. So, yeah, I think it's a great idea to allow beer drinking on campus since not many beer-drinking opportunities exist for students in Bloomington, and I think allowing beer parties in fraternity houses is a great way to begin. I mean, it's not like fraternities abuse alcohol or anything like that. You never hear of frats involved in alcohol usage, alcohol abuse or alcohol poisoning. It just doesn't happen. So, yeah, let's Go Greek. Lets have more students like Matt Dills and Colin Thornburg of Phi Kappa Psi make front-page news for their beer chugging skills. After all, this is a very rare talent that both professors and employers look for in good students and future employees.

Brad Whetstine\nIU Student

Fall Festival more than mulletude

While entertained, I was also a little disheartened to read Natalie Avon's editorial this morning (Oct. 13) regarding the patrons of the Evansville West Side Nut Club Fall Festival. Granted, the festival is a good opportunity to people-watch since it brings in thousands of people from all walks of life in the tri-state area. I grew up in Newburgh and probably spent countless hours doing the same thing when I was in high school. I don't want to be a stick in the mud, but what her article fails to mention is the civic effort put forth by the West Side Nut Club and the whole point of the event. The Fall Festival is not just "a meeting ground for mullets" or an opportunity to eat a brain sandwich. It is also a huge fundraiser that allows the Nut Club to donate money to schools and organizations, as well as offer scholarships to students from the area high schools. Yes, mullets are funny, and there are plenty of them around. According to the article, it would seem that the Fall Festival is nothing more than a redneck freakshow. How sad to think that someone who grew up in the area (and hopefully knows better) wants to present to the uninitiated one of the best examples of a community banding together for the greater good as little more than a joke. All that "mulletude" is a force to be reckoned with and sends a few lucky kids to college. Besides, those patrons who need not worry about showering? Kentuckians, not Hoosiers.

Tracey McGookey\nIU Staff & Alumna

Don't forget Lent!

The IDS coverage of the Muslim Ramadan is admirable ("Muslim Student Union raises money for kitchen with Fast-a-thon" by Zachary Osterman, Oct 12). It is so important for your readers to realize that most adherents to a religious tradition have spiritual depth. Too often religious persons are characterized as "simple thinkers" who follow leaders with a "mindless obedience." This is quite inaccurate. Most believers do obey but with a critical concern about how to live the precepts of their religious tradition. Hence, they -- the believers -- struggle with their faith and its demands. And it is important in the present sociopolitical climate for Americans to discover that Islam is a tradition of deep human values and of searching. \nIn this article, I was amazed and saddened by the comment of a Catholic student who was quoted in the article about the Fast-a-thon saying, "I'm Catholic, and there's really no religious holiday that calls for (fasting)." Apparently he forgot that Catholics observe Lent, a six-week period of fasting, prayer and almsgiving in the springtime (Feb-March). I invite this student to take another look at his religious tradition and discover in it the practices that, like his Muslim brethren, call us to become humans of deep quality. Fasting does this when it is done with spirit and not just as a legal religious requirement, and when it is linked to almsgiving—sharing from our simplicity of living. \nWe Catholics at St. Paul Catholic Center, the Catholic campus ministry at IU, pray that we, with our Muslim brethren and all true searchers, will be faithful to the calling of God, the One and the Holy.

Fr. Robert J Keller, \nO.P., Pastor, St. Paul Catholic Center at IU

Rosenbaum poor political pundit

Regarding "At least my T-shirt can say 'nuclear,'" by Teri Rosenbaum (Oct. 16):\nI've always been a fan of the Indiana Daily Student, even when they slip up every once in awhile. It's hard to forgive the people in charge of hiring Teri Rosenbaum to the IDS staff, though. I always find her columns comical, but not for her terrible humor. She has some of the worst writing skills I have ever seen in a newspaper (including my high school paper). I won't get started on her grammar that often goes unnoticed, but I will comment on her atrocious lack of writing skills. It's obvious she's trying to piss people off in her articles, but it's hard to agree with any of her points when she comes off sounding like an uneducated moron. Seriously, the girls of "Laguna Beach" could probably give more insight than a Rosenbaum column.\nIn her most recent piece on political T-shirts, she states at the very beginning that she has no clue about anything political in this country. However, she does make time to bash on the Republican party multiple times because they "have worse T-shirt selections." Give me a break. Go ahead and babble about not buying Uggs, but don't pretend to be a political advisor when you are completely off your rocker (not just in politics, but in common sense). On top of that, Miss Rosenbaum had the moxie to describe some disturbing images that have no place in a newspaper. I'm sure I'm not the only one at IU (or at the IDS) that believes that Teri Rosenbaum has no place on the IDS staff or on any paper in the United States (maybe a position at the Iraqi Press would suit her better).

Andy Adamson\nSenior

Lidle loss reminder players are mortal

Now, there are many rivalries in baseball. Being a Cubs fan from Chicago, the rivalry I know best is the Cubs and White Sox. The law behind this rivalry is: 1. Cubs fans hate the White Sox and Yankees; 2. White Sox fans hate the Cubs and Yankees. Actually, many baseball fans, such as myself, feel that if you have no roots in New York, then you should not be a Yankee fan. However, the events of Oct. 11 have changed my view on the Yankees and their players. You may not like the Yankees; you may not respect the Yankees, but Oct. 11 reminds us that even the Yankees are human.\nThe Yankees have feelings. The fans of New York have booed A-Rod for months, not thinking at all about A-Rod's feelings. How can booing him help? It probably made him feel and play worse. What did A-Rod do that was provoking booing? Did he do anything that wrong?\nThe Yankees are mortal. Just like everyone else, Yankees can get hurt and even die. Oct. 11 reminded all baseball fans that even Yankees are a part of baseball, and it hurts to see a Yankee leave us early. Cory Lidle was last known as a Yankee but was really a man of baseball. He played for all corners of the game from the Mets to the A's and all types of teams between, including the Blue Jays, Reds, Devil Rays, Phillies and Yankees.\nCory Lidle is now gone, but I hope the Yankees fans, and all baseball fans, pick up on the message here. That message is that everyone, including the Yankees, are people with feelings and are mortal. This can even go beyond baseball to get people to respect each other and refrain from saying bad things, because you never know what will happen.

Matthew K. Skiba\nSenior

The real human cost in Iraq

Brian Stewart wrote on Oct. 11 that honor ought to trump humanitarian considerations and that to withdraw from Iraq would impugn our nation's global reputation ("Number of Americans wounded in Iraq climbs higher" intelligence brief, Opinion front). Apparently Brian does not use sources outside of the American mainstream press or delve at all into reality. Were he to do so, he might be aware that the reputation of the U.S. has long been that of a global bully and that our national honor was lost the first time Native Americans were slaughtered for their land. Brian seems to have noticed what is now a well-known fact; this occupation has led to a greater threat of terrorist attacks. Yes, America is less safe because America is fighting a war, a war which America started on false pretenses and which has been continued counter to the standards of U.S. and international law. Brian might also take note that his beloved nation is widely regarded as the world's most dangerous rogue state. America threatens to use nuclear weapons and is the only country ever to have used such WMDs; America refuses to honor international treaties and even its own Constitution; America ignores the will of the people and hides its war criminals from justice. \nThough it ought to be among the factors in our considerations, the number of American wounded is paltry compared to the toll Iraqi families have suffered. On the same day that Brian told us all to hush-up because America has to appear "mature" to the world, The Lancet published further research on the human cost of America's crimes in Iraq. The evidence shows us that well over half a million Iraqis are dead thanks to America's misguided lust for revenge. I am disgusted when my fellow citizens ignore the suffering that America is causing. Iraqi dead since March 2003 now exceed American casualties in World War II, and this time America is the criminal aggressor; this time the genocide is our crime. As citizens of a putative democracy, the crimes of our government are our crimes. The blood of 655,000 Iraqis is on our hands.

Philip Leflar\nAlumnus