Freitag's substitution decisions gave IUPUI shot at some late-game heroics

The IU men's soccer team dominated the pace of play for the first 83 minutes of Wednesday night's game against IU-Purdue University Indianapolis, taking a 2-0 lead over the Jaguars.\nHowever, with eight of the original 11 starters for the Hoosiers sitting on the sideline, IUPUI scored two goals in five minutes to send the game into overtime.\nAlthough a goal two minutes into the first overtime from sophomore forward Kevin Noschang won the game for the cream and crimson, IU coach Mike Freitag said he made a mistake in his substitution pattern that allowed the two Jaguar goals.\n"I put the second group of guys into a tough situation," he said. "With a 2-0 lead, that's a difficult lead."\nLeading 2-1 with less than two minutes remaining in regulation, junior defender Charley Traylor kicked the ball out of bounds deep in the Hoosier defensive side of the field. IUPUI midfielder Chris Wey received the throw-in and crossed the ball to IUPUI midfielder Vangel Nacovski. Nacovski, the leading scorer in the history of Indiana high school soccer, scored his second goal in five minutes by beating junior goalkeeper Chris Munroe.\nAs the ball went into the net, the players on IUPUI bench erupted in cheers, yelling for their team, which entered the contest looking for respect, said IUPUI coach Steve Franklin.\n"For us, this was all about respect," Franklin said. "It doesn't taste good coming here when people chant 'satellite campus.' We just want some respect because we play some pretty good soccer. I think we got that tonight."\nSitting on the sideline, Noschang said all game the Hoosiers knew they would win.\n"Before the game started we had no doubt that we would get the job done," he said.\nSeeing the subs take the field for IU made IUPUI work harder, Franklin said.\n"That's the risk you take," Franklin said. "If you want to put your reserves on the field, you are telling us you think we aren't coming back. To our credit, we took them to overtime. We feel pretty happy about that."\nThe substitutes for IU had chances to score in the final minutes of the game but were unable to get the game-winner before regulation ended. Despite only having a 2-0 lead, Freitag said he had confidence in his bench to get the job done.\n"I believe in those guys, but I put them in a very tough situation," Freitag said. "In the same breath, I knew we were going to win the game. I saw the fire in their eyes when they scored the second goal."\nHeading into overtime, both teams knew IU would come out looking to end the game early. Coming in and winning so quickly in overtime showed the quality of the Hoosier team, Franklin said.\n"To their credit, I am going to give the IU team a big kudos," Franklin said. "Championship teams will not let adversity take them down. We knew as soon as the main boys came back on the field that they were going to come after us like a wild badger, and they did"