For some, homecoming is just another weekend to party and watch football

Students offer mixed opinions of what events mean

It is a 98-year-old tradition that brings scores of alumni and students together to celebrate their school pride and remember past times. For many, though, homecoming is just another week and another weekend to party and watch football. \nSophomore Alex Bean didn't know about the different activities student organizations offer that take place during the week. He said he isn't doing anything he wouldn't do on a normal weekend. Bean said he is, however, planning on attending the game against Michigan State.\n"I don't think this week is that much different than normal," he said. "I am looking forward to the game, looking forward to hopefully a bowl game. IU actually has a chance to win in the Big Ten."\nFor other students, attending the game is not even a part of their agendas. Even after being here for the past two years, junior Jennifer Gonterman has not attended a homecoming football game or seen the parade. She said she doesn't even know where the parade takes place. However, Gonterman added that she thinks more students should go to the game. \nThe number of fans at the game might increase with the addition of alumni. Recent IU graduate Lauren Belles said she is counting down the days until she will be back in Bloomington. \nAlthough junior Patrick Hurley agreed homecoming weekend isn't any different than the weekend before, he did acknowledge that the campus is more crowded than usual. \n"All I know is there are a lot more people on campus," Hurley said. "There are a ton of alumni that come in for the game." \nAlumni or not, the opportunity for students to celebrate their football team doesn't always mean actually going in to the game. \n"I am going to tailgate, and I will have my ticket on (me), but I can't guarantee that I will go in," junior Greg Barnes said.\nBarnes said he is looking forward to the additional parties that will take place during the week. He said he believes a large amount of parties has to do with homecoming being scheduled near Halloween. Barnes also added that he doesn't have any friends or family coming in because he doesn't want anything getting in the way of his fun. \n"(Homecoming) means getting really drunk," he said. "I plan on going to a bunch of house parties and maybe the bars. I don't need anyone dampening my fun."\nThere is a bit of mystery lingering around students who will be experiencing their first college homecoming.\nFreshman Kate Tracey said she doesn't know what to expect during the week. All she has to go by is what she has heard from friends at other schools.\n"I'm excited to see what all of the organizations and greek houses do," Tracey said. "My friends at (Illinois) and (University of Missouri) told me all about how crazy their weekend was and how many events took place. I can only image what will go on here."\nCrazy or not, IU will continue to be home to thousands of students, and homecoming will take place year after year.\n"I don't really know what is going on, but I definitely want to go to the game and celebrate with my friends," Tracey said.