Mighty in Mudville

The outlook wasn't brilliant for the Mudville nine that day: the Hoosiers were down 23-7 with their second nonconference win miles away.\nThen, from nearly 24,000 throats there rose a lusty yell.\nIt rumbled through the valley. It rattled in the dell.\nIt pounded on the stadium walls and reverberated a loud tap.\nFor Kellen, mighty Kellen, was about to take the snap. \nIs IU the Mac Daddy? Perhaps not.\nBut the Hoosiers have established a 2-0 record against the Mid-American Conference despite having their backs to the wall early in Saturday's contest against Ball State. \nThe story from this contest is the crafty play of redshirt freshman Kellen Lewis. The quarterback entered the game after two unsuccessful drives by starter Graeme McFarland and accounted for 228 passing yards on 28 attempts and 88 rushing yards on 12 plays. \nNot surprisingly, Lewis looked a lot like former Hoosier scrambler Antwaan Randle El. Lewis' 316 total yards were the most combined yards by an IU player since Randle El totaled 467 yards against Western Michigan Sept. 12, 1998. Then again, that was Randle El, who in the same game ran in and threw three touchdowns. His level of play survived the curse of the Cream and Crimson as he played a part in the Pittsburgh Steelers' Super Bowl success. \nAfter Mighty Kellen's play in Muncie, the situation might no longer be mundane in Mudville. \nAt halftime the Hoosiers trailed Ball State 23-7 before tallying 17 unanswered points in the second half. Austin Starr's 35-yard field goal (how I love those field goal kickers) capped the comeback, bringing the Cream and Crimson back into command of the game. \nBut there were questions that lay further unanswered. \nThere might not be a dilemma in the defensive schemes. Down by 16 points, IU's adjustments in the second half shut down Cardinal quarterback Joey Lynch. The situation might be less severe with special teams. The Hoosiers held both returns from B.J. Hill to less than 25 yards and blocked their own way down the field in front of IU sophomore running back Marcus Thigpen as he completed a 100-yard touchdown return for the first half's only points. Questions, however, remain open on the offensive line. Its job was alleviated with the allure of Kellen Lewis' mobility. The defense needed to find Lewis before it could tackle him. \nNow, there are quips and queries about a possible quarterback controversy in Quarry Land. Powers has surely established himself as the offensive leader with tons of talent, but possibility of success behind Lewis' legs -- and more importantly his arm -- could even lead the proponents for Powers to salivate. \nFor right now the player at the Hoosiers' helm is Powers. Coach Hep will need to choose one man for the job because two quarterbacks lead to one major problem and zero success for IU.\nVictory gave way to celebration in Mudville Saturday night. It was Mr. Lewis' coming-out party. His contributions gave IU its second win of the season. And for himself, a possible seat on the bench next weekend.\nYes, there is some joy in Mudville, for Mighty Kellen has come out.