Hoosiers to host tourney

Team to play Chicago State, Maryland, Marshall

Home-court advantage? For the IU women's volleyball team, try new court advantage. \n"We installed a new floor at University Gymnasium on top of the original support system," said Assistant Director of Athletics Chuck Crabb. "It's an air channel floor that is lively, more forgiving on the ankles and legs, and will help prevent injuries."\nAfter a strong showing this past weekend in the West Virginia Tournament, the Hoosiers will unveil their new home court when they participate in the T.I.S. Bookstore Tournament this weekend. Chicago State University, Marshall University and the University of Maryland will compete in the tournament. IU's first game of the tournament is against Marshall Friday at 7 p.m. in the University Gymnasium.\nCrabb said he thinks the floor -- which was updated for the first time in 43 years -- will help with practice just as much as it will help injury prevention.\n"The new floor was also refigured to allow for four practice courts instead of three," Crabb said. "It is all around a superior practice and playing surface."\nIU coach Kate Weismiller agreed that the floor is good for the team and its morale.\n"From a recruiting standpoint, it is very important," Weismiller said. "It is a volleyball floor with no basketball lines. That shows that IU put emphasis on the team, which puts pride in the program."\nWhile the new floor is a valuable asset for the team, Weismiller did find the practices recently held at the SRSC to be useful.\n"It was nice playing at the (Student Recreational Sports Center) in front of a crowd for each practice," Weismiller said. "It was good experience for the team."\nMaryland will kick off its season with this weekend's tournament, while Marshall (1-3) and Chicago State (0-4) have already competed in tournaments this season. This will mark the first time IU has faced any of these three teams since Aug. 31, 2001, when IU swept Maryland in three straight games. \nWeismiller said IU will have a tougher time this weekend in the tournament, but the team won't lose sight of its ultimate goal: improving with each game.\n"The opponents will be tougher this weekend since two of the teams played in the NCAA Tournament last year," Weismiller said. "Our goal is going to be to improve from last weekend, gaining confidence with every swing. We can distribute the ball, and we have options to go to on offense."\nAlthough offense is important to the Hoosiers, defense is also a main focus for Weismiller this weekend.\n"We need to be a great (defensive) team this weekend," said Weismiller. "We have the personnel to be a great defensive team"