Ivy Tech president steps down after 23 years

Community College joins IU, Purdue in search

Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana President Gerald I. Lamkin announced today that he will retire in June after serving as president of the college since 1983 and a faculty member since 1967.\n"My time at Ivy Tech has been one of the most rewarding times of my life," Lamkin said in a statement. "We have made tremendous strides in establishing an effective and enriching community college system for the state of Indiana."\nIn December 2003, IU and Ivy Tech signed a historic agreement that allowed students to begin a degree at Ivy Tech then transfer to IU-Bloomington, according to a Jan. 9, 2004, Indiana Daily Student article.\nThe "Hoosier Link" program, as it became known, also allows Ivy Tech students to live in IU dorms.\nA new Ivy Tech president should not change that agreement, said Ivy Tech spokesman Jeff Fanter.\nDuring Lamkin's 23-year presidency, Ivy Tech saw its enrollment increase by 300 percent, according to a news release from the college. Donations to the Ivy Tech Foundation have increased from $350,000 to more than $13 million during his tenure.\nOne-third of Indiana college students are now enrolled at one of Ivy Tech's 14 campuses; IU is the only college system in Indiana with a larger enrollment.\n"Very few people who have a dream get to see it become real," Gov. Mitch Daniels said in a statement. "Gerald Lamkin is the father of the community college system in Indiana. He has led Ivy Tech to its central position in the economic future of Indiana." \nLamkin will continue to serve as president emeritus.\nDetails of the search for a new president are not yet known, other than candidates from all over the country will be considered. Ivy Tech is now the third Indiana college searching for a new president. \nIU started its search recently after IU President Adam Herbert told the board of trustees in January that he would retire in 2008 when his contract expires. In June, he amended that statement, saying he could step down earlier if a replacement is found. In addition, Purdue University President Martin C. Jischke announced earlier this month that he will retire in June 2007.