The man comes around one more time

Like most Americans with a full head of teeth and no extra chromosomes, I despise country music with a passion. Johnny Cash, however, is a different matter altogether. Yes, he was a country artist, but he was also a rebel, a rocker and a great storyteller. All in all, he was one of the greatest singer-songwriters to ever live.\nAmerican V: A Hundred Highways, the first of two posthumous releases from Cash under Rick Rubin's American Recordings Label emphasizes these qualities on nearly every track. The album opens with "Help Me," a moving call for aid from the Lord delivered with Cash's trademark sharp clear vocal style. As this is the first of many songs with Christian overtones in it, the track sets up the album as almost more of a gospel effort than country.\nFrom there the album goes into its three best tracks, the first of which is the footstomping "God's Gonna Cut You Down." This song shows Cash at his very best: Just his gravelly voice warning of God's judgement and a steady clapping track to back him up. But as great as "God's Gonna Cut You Down" is, I have trouble deciding if that or the next track "Like The 309" is my favorite on American V. "Like the 309" is one of only two original songs on the album, and the last song Cash wrote before his death in 2003.\nDistinctly different from the other songs on the album in its very bluesy tone, it's a catchy upbeat tune about Cash reflecting on his death and love of trains.\nThe other original song, "I Came To Believe" is a solid traditional country song about finding God, but not nearly as good as "Like The 309."\nMuch like Cash took Trent Reznor's "Hurt" on American IV and improved upon it, he recorded an even more moving and timeless version of Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind" for this album.\nAs American V was recorded in the months leading up to his death when he was in failing health, there's quite a variance in Cash's vocals between tracks. On some he comes through as clearly and vibrantly as on 40 year-old recordings. On others, most noticeably "God's Gonna Cut You Down" his voice is noticeably softer, even more gravelly than normal. He even sounds a little short on breath. Even so, Cash's voice is so enjoyable to listen to, it does little to diminish the overall experience.\nThis is as good of a Johnny Cash album as any released while he was alive. I eagerly anticipate the second and final volume of posthumous recordings, American VI later this year or early next.