A legend moves on

On Sept. 4, college football fans everywhere will say goodbye to a stalwart legend whose time has come. Rumors about his retirement had been swirling since the beginning of last season and yesterday it was confirmed. After a 16-year career, it was time to hang 'em up. \nSaturday night fans at the University of Texas will bid farewell to a beacon of stability who began his career in 1988, during the trying David McWilliams era. He stood by the program's side during the tumultuous years of coach John Mackovic and reveled in the program's resurrection under current coach Mack Brown. \n"He's given us so much," said emotional Longhorns' fan Colby Muecke of the local hero whose impressive career record stands at 124-67-2. \nTexas fans are wondering how his replacement could possibly live up to such a high standard of excellence. Bevo XIII will be sorely missed.\nYes, the veteran Texas mascot called it quits and will be put out to pasture this week after an emotional decision. Bevo XIII declined to comment; apparently he thinks it's time for Texas fans to move on and embrace his heir apparent: Bevo XIV. It's going to be tough for the new mascot and, as with any change, there are going to be growing pains. \nThe Longhorn "represents courage, fighting ability, nerve, lust of combat, efficiency in deadly encounters and the holy spirit of 'Never Say Die,'" said the Silver Spurs spirit club that manages the mascot. Tough shoes to fill for the newcomer. \nBevo XIII endeared himself to fans after the 1999 Big XII championship game, a 16-point loss to Nebraska. As his handlers were taking him off the field, he felt he needed to do something, so he simply left his mark on the Cornhuskers' logo ... you figure it out. This defiant statement only cemented his status as a legend. \nRecently, some had speculated that Bevo XIII had lost his touch. Four straight losses to rival Oklahoma and several disappointing seasons in a row had fans wondering if the legend was going to step aside. Sadly, he will go down as one of the best to never win a national championship, adding to the sorrow in Austin. His retirement proves that one can't live off of past successes ... hear that Mike Davis?\nThe first Bevo was run onto the field in 1916 during a showdown with Texas' hated rival Texas A&M. Bevo has a long tradition of showing up despite his injuries and expecting nothing but the best from his beloved team. There are no backup Bevos, like the second string War Eagle at Auburn, and the Longhorn usually retires before death, choosing to leave with dignity, unlike the Bulldog at Georgia or Joe Paterno. \nThe new Bevo is hard at work preparing for the upcoming season and is confident there will be no drop off in the team's performance under his watchful eye. The 1,300-pound 2-year-old must mature quickly if he plans to contribute right away. This could be an especially tough Big XII season for the Longhorns. The horses that pull Oklahoma's wagon have been practicing all off-season, and Colorado's Buffalo has managed to side-step doping allegations and appears to be in top shape. \nSure, Longhorn fans may love their mascot a little too much, but they take their football seriously in Texas. It's sort of like Indiana and basketball -- two years ago. \nSo now, when you think college football legends, these names should enter your mind: Knute Rockne, Pop Warner, Bear Bryant and Bevo XIII.