Weekend Roadtrips

Hot summer destinations are less than five hours away from Bloomington

So you're finally done with classes, or maybe you're not. Regardless, it's summer whichever way you look at it. Sure, you could occupy these hot summer days sitting on your ass, sleeping, playing video games. But, if you're feeling nimble, and have a little cash, you might want to look into taking a road trip. The open road awaits you, and there are plenty of big cities that are within driving range (1-5 hours away). This guide will take you through seven states and a dozen or so cities, so get out your map and follow along as you plot out your destinations for this summer.\nIndianapolis\nLet's start with the closest of the locations, a city that's just a hop, skip, and a short drive away from good ole Bloomington, Indiana's state capital. That's Indianapolis for those of you who failed Geography in high school. Indy, while one of the smaller cities in our guide to summer travel, is still home to some good sites and great fun. Feeling like a kid? Then check out the Indianapolis Children's Museum. If you want to spend some money, go shopping at Circle Center Mall. Indy is also a great place to see a show. If you're over 21, check out the Vogue, if not, the Emerson Theater is a great place for local and national acts alike. Indy is a great place to spend the day if you you're feeling bored and want a quick trip.\nCincinnati\nHeading east, we arrive in Ohio, the Buckeye state. You can zip over to Cincinnati, a three hour drive from Bloomington. If you're into sports, check out a Red's baseball game. If you're into music, check out a show at Bogart's. Feeling a little nerdy? Visit one of Cincinnati's many museums, including the Taft Museum of Art and the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center. \nLooking for some thrills this summer season? You can always trek up to Mason, Ohio, home of the Midwest's best theme park Paramount's King's Island. They have some great roller coasters, as well as a water park to cool off at on a hot summer's day. Just a mere 3 hour drive from Bloomington, so it's a fairly inexpensive outing, and it's great fun for a group of friends.\nLouisville, KY.\nOur next two destinations have us going south. Our first stop is Louisville, Ky. Senior Susanna Schneider loves visiting Louisville whenever she can. Her family lives in Lanesville, Ind., just minutes away from the Kentucky border and Louisville. \n"When I'm in Louisville, I like to go down to Bardstown Road, there are lots of cool shops and restaurants there," said Schneider. \nShe also likes to go downtown and stroll down Waterfront Park and take a look at the Ohio River.\n"Louisville has lots of places to see bands play," said Schneider. \nHeadliners, Jillian's and Bulldogs are popular places to stop by and see some bands rock out. She also likes to stop by the famous Ear-Xtacy Records store and pick up a CD from her favorite bands. Louisville is only two hours away from Bloomington, so it's a great place to take a trip to, and if you've never been there before, it's worth the trip.\nNashville, Tenn.\nIf you like country music, you should head down to Nashville, Tenn., not to be confused with the town just south of Bloomington of the same name. Nashville is home to country music, they even harbor the Country Music Hall of Fame. Nashville is also a great place for state parks, if you want to see some beautiful nature.\nProbably the biggest happening going on in Tennessee this summer, is the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in Manchester. Freshman Bruce Murray plans on attending the event with a few of his friends. It won't be a cheap experience though. \n"I think it will cost me around 300 to 350 dollars total for the show, gas, food, and anything else that might come up," said Murray. \nThe drive will clock in at a little under six hours (yeah, I know…we're shooting for 1-5, but hey, this is Bonnaroo we're talking about!). The festival will feature well over 75 bands, but Murray is mainly interested in Radiohead.\n"Yeah, mainly Radiohead. But there are many others, like the Streets and Tom Petty that I will be checking out," said Murray.\n Murray views Bonnaroo as a three day vacation/relaxation session. \n"Bonnaroo for me will be an odyssey," said Murray. "Besides the music, and a few friends, I am going to use it as an opportunity to be by myself, without the distraction on family and mindless entertainment, like TV and videogames. I have pictured a sort of reflective-heavy holiday."\nSt. Louis\nWe whip back up to St. Louis, roughly a four hour drive from our beloved Bloomington. St. Louis is, of course, home to the famous Gateway Arch. In addition, St. Louis is a land of nature. Bordering the city is the great Mississippi River, where you can cruise in a paddlewheel riverboat. See a Cardinals baseball game if you're into sports. And beer, did I mention beer? St. Louis is home to the world's largest brewery, Anheuser-Busch. Looking for music? St. Louis is the home to the blues, and there are plenty of live music clubs to check out. St. Louis is an interesting city, and it's worth the drive if you're willing to make it.\nChicago\nOur final destination will take us to the Windy City, Chicago. Sophomore Emily Mnichowski plans on taking her friend from the big west coast, California, to downtown Chicago this summer. \n"She's never been there before, and I think she'll love it. When we are there, we are going to see McSmokerson play (a punk rock band from none other than Bloomington) and do some shopping," said Mnichowski. \nChicago is a great place to do just about anything. The city is right on the edge of Lake Michigan, so there's plenty of beach fun to be had. \nChicago is a town of sports. The White Sox and the Cubs for you baseball fans, and if you're a soccer hooligan, check out a Chicago Fire game in the brand new Ridgefield Stadium. Music is also a huge part of Chicago, and there isn't a lack of venues: the House of Blues, the Metro, the Bottom Lounge, the Beat Kitchen, just to name a few. \n"In my opinion, Chicago is the greatest city in the world because a lot of great bands play there and they have the best pizza. If I have time, I will probably go to a few museums, and bookstores," said Mnichowski. \nSo if you're looking for something to do this summer, something beyond the realm of Bloomington, you don't have to drive too far to find something to do beyond sitting around watching the shit on MTV or going to the bars all summer. Get out, travel, explore the world. It can be as inexpensive as you want to make it, except for gas maybe. But if you've got the transportation, there are thousands of things for you to find in the greater Midwest area that won't drain you of your limited funds.