Third tokes the charm

When I first saw "Dazed and Confused" in middle school, I didn't get it. Next came high school and a second viewing proved worthless -- boring and unfunny I remarked to a friend. As the old saying goes though, the third time is the charm as I watched "Dazed" as a double-bill alongside Cameron Crowe's "Almost Famous" and somewhere it all clicked. \nRichard Linklater's "Dazed" is a massive step in the right direction considering his prior debut work, "Slacker," is about as boring as watching paint dry. It's the last day of school in May 1976 and a multitude of things must go down before the summer officially begins. The hazing of soon-to-be freshmen, kegs to be tapped and joints to be passed -- if its illegal, it's in.\nWorking with a cast of relatively unknown/indie actors, Linklater ultimately creates one of the most believable portraits of high school life coupled with historical authenticity. Jason London as Pink, the football player torn between his love of the game and love of his "loser" friends; Wiley Wiggins as Mitch, the now freshman who is finding it easier to blend in than all the others; Parker Posey as Darla, the queen bitch of the high school; and, of course, Matthew McConaughey as Wooderson, whose every line is worth quoting. \n"Dazed" has seen three DVD releases over the past couple years. If the first was a nickel and the "Flashback Edition" was a dime bag, then Criterion's 2-disc edition is the green ounce worth your greenbacks. Finally, fans are treated to the long overdue Linklater commentary track and the wait is worth it. This is clearly Linklater's favorite film as his enthusiasm rings throughout. \nThe second disc is supplemental potpourri. Audition footage, deleted scenes, on-set interviews and behind-the-scenes tidbits, if you ever wanted to feel like you were right alongside all these kids then you'll find your place here. The best extra though is "Making Dazed," a 50-minute documentary years in the making -- taking the best of the old and waiting a decade to add in the new. \nThe 72-page booklet is excellent. Full of critical appreciation and character profiles in yearbook format, fans are given a closer look at their favorite cast member. You're even treated to Linklater's personal notes to his cast regarding the era and "Dazed's" smoking soundtrack. Finally, an original Frank Kozik-designed "Dazed" poster is included for die-hards. I'm not sure why "Dazed" finally hit the right note with me. Maybe I'm older, maybe I'm a bit wiser, or perhaps it just makes me wish I was still in high school without a care in the world, man.