Domestic dispute ends in stabbing in self defense

Man found bleeding in grass

A domestic dispute ended in a self-defense stabbing Saturday night, after a husband and wife with a history of domestic violence toward each other took their \nargument to the street.\nBloomington police officers responded to a 911 call at 9:51 p.m. in the 1300 block of East 12th Street. They found a man lying in the grass, bleeding from a stab wound to his left leg. The man was uncooperative with police, refusing to tell them who had stabbed him or give details regarding to the incident in general, the police report said.\nAfter the Bloomington Hospital's ambulance service arrived and removed the victim to the emergency room, police recovered a small kitchen knife in the grass. Sergeant Mick Williams, reading the police report, said the officers began canvassing the area for witnesses, locating the original 911 caller as well as the wife's sister, who lived in the area.\nThe officers also located the wife, who was traveling home on foot with her two small children in the 1300 block of West 11th Street. \nThe woman told police that she and her husband were at her sister's house when they began arguing over her going out that evening with some friends. He got in the family's car and was leaving the area, so she sat on the hood of the vehicle in an attempt to stop him. According to reports from the wife and other witnesses, the husband put the car in reverse and tried to leave anyway, at which point the wife broke off one of the windshield wipers with which she was holding onto the vehicle, Williams said.\nThe woman claimed that her husband tried to run her over, and then got out of the car and chased her into her sister's house. She locked herself in the building and waited until she thought her husband had left the area. The police report stated that the wife was fearful of her husband by that point in the argument.\nAs she left the house, her husband, who had been lying in wait for her, grabbed her from behind by the left arm, held her head and began choking her, the wife and several witnesses said. \nShe in turn pulled out a kitchen knife she had hidden in her left-hand pants pocket and stabbed him in his leg. He also suffered a cut to the left arm, the police report said.\nThe sister, who had been in a neighbor's house for safety during the altercation, came out and took the knife from her, the wife told police. The woman then asked someone to call for an ambulance and tried to stem her husband's bleeding by wrapping an electrical cord around his leg. No visible injuries were found on the woman.\nThe police determined from corroborated reports between witnesses and the wife that the husband was the primary aggressor in the situation and that the wife had just been acting in self-defense. No charges were filed against her or her husband.