Democrat convention claim momentum

INDIANAPOLIS -- Democrats from across Indiana rallied at their state convention Saturday, hoping to gain an election-year boost to help them rebound from big losses two years ago when Republicans won the governor's office, regained the Indiana House and defeated a Democrat congressman.\nSeveral speakers fired up the crowd at the downtown Hyatt Regency by taking verbal shots at Gov. Mitch Daniels-- whose 2004 victory ended 16 years of Democrats controlling the office -- and at Republicans who regained a majority in the House for the first time in eight years. Republicans also rule the Senate.\n"It's time we ditch Mitch and take over the Statehouse," said former House Speaker John Gregg, wildly popular among Democrats for his vibrant personality, quick wit and humor. "I walked in the Statehouse today and smelled an odor over there. I came over here and smelled victory."\nAmong other things, speakers touted the state party's primary goals this election. Topping the list is winning back control of the Indiana House, where they trail Republicans 52-48.\nDemocrats also touted their chances for Baron Hill regaining the 9th District congressional seat he lost two years ago to Republican Mike Sodrel; Vanderburgh County Sheriff Brad Ellsworth defeating Rep. John Hostettler in the 8th District; and Joe Donnelly beating 2nd District Rep. Chris Chocola in a rematch from 2004.\nAll three spoke at the convention.\nDelegates also conducted some official business by nominating candidates for statewide-elected office and approving a campaign platform.\nDelegates named Joe Pearson, a deputy commissioner of agriculture under former Democratic Govs. Frank O'Bannon and Joe Kernan, as secretary of state. He would face incumbent Republican Todd Rokita in the fall if Rokita is nominated for a second term as expected during the GOP state convention set for June 19-20.\nMichael Griffin, serving his fourth term as clerk-treasurer for the Lake County town of Highland, was nominated for state treasurer. Vigo County Commissioner Judy Anderson got the nod for auditor.\nRepublican Treasurer Tim Berry and GOP Auditor Connie Nass are in their second terms and cannot seek re-election. Berry will be the likely GOP nominee for auditor, and former Vanderburgh County commissioner Richard Mourdock is seeking to be the Republican candidate for treasurer.\nThe Democratic platform includes seeking affordable health care for all Hoosiers and to "advocate harder than ever" for implementation of statewide, full-day kindergarten, a passionate goal of the late Gov. O'Bannon that he failed to win in the Legislature.\n"We've got to have our own agenda, our own positive, aggressive agenda for Indiana, and at the center of that has to be our commitment to public schools and to full-day kindergarten," said state Sen. Vi Simpson, D-Bloomington.\nBut Democrats made it clear Saturday that they believe their greatest weapon this election is not a Democrat, but Daniels. They especially criticized his efforts to privatize parts of state government and his planned lease of the Indiana Toll Road to a private, foreign consortium for an upfront payment of $3.8 billion.\nAll but two Democrats voted against legislation authorizing the deal. Most others said the state should not turn over control of a major asset to a private entity, one they say will reap tens of billions of dollars in profits over the next 75 years that should stay in Indiana.\nDaniels has said that his privatization efforts or plans are aimed at improving government services and making them more efficient, often at less cost to taxpayers. He and most Republicans say the toll road lease payment will help fund hundreds of highway and other transportation projects and help create tens of thousands of jobs.\nAnd in general, Daniels says he is aggressively pursuing what he campaigned on, including rebuilding Indiana's economy, reforming government and seeking other changes.\nBut a statewide poll by The Indianapolis Star in early March put Daniels' approval rating at 37 percent, and only 30 percent of those surveyed supported the toll lease.\nHouse Minority Leader Patrick Bauer of South Bend, who likely would regain the speaker's post if Democrats take back the House, noted all the delegates waving placards that said "Ditch Mitch." He said jokingly that the message made him nervous.\n"He's the greatest thing we've got going for us right now so let's keep him until November, and then we'll veto Mitch," Bauer said to rousing applause.\nSeveral booths were set up outside the convention hall, many with Democrat memorabilia that took jabs at Daniels. There were buttons that said, "Keep the Toll Road, Lease Mitch," and front, plastic car plates that said, "Ditch Mitch -- The For Sale State," and "Indiana For Sale -- They Did What?"\nState GOP Chairman Murray Clark said Friday that he expected Democrats at the convention to be on the political attack.\n"Our message is we are the party of purpose and action and ideas," Clark said. "This governor is our leader and has illustrated that and has proceeded to lead in way very consistent with they way he campaigned and what he promised during the campaign"