Backstage Pass (06.17.2006 - 12:40 AM)

A Saturday afternoon press conference gave artists like Robert Randolph, Ben Folds, Umphrey's McGee, and Lewis Black a chance to joke around and talk about their impressions of the festival that singer of G.Love & Special Sauce Garrett Dutton called "The greatest party of the year." \nBen Folds, fresh off his set, said it was the second time he'd play for a crowd that size. \n"I heard there were 30-40 thousand people in the crowd," Folds said. "And they all have different color hair. I've only played a crowd that big in Japan and they all had dark hair, so I had a little trouble focusing at the beginning of my set." \nMany artists said a big reason they love the show is that it gives them a chance to check out other musicians. Ricky Skaggs admitted his kids plan to see Robert Randolph's act instead of his. Robert Randolph said he wishes he could play his slide guitar during Radiohead, and many expressed their desire to see Beck. Keyboardist of Umphreys McGee, Joel Cummings, said when they tour all year they don't feel like spending their off days seeing shows, but loved the opportunity at Bonnaroo. \n"Every year I walk away finding a band that I love and end up buying all their cd's," Cummins said. "Bonnaroo is one of the best things out there and I'm thrilled to be a part of it." \nCummins and Umphrey's played a gig in Indiana with The Disco Biscuits a few weeks ago, trading in band members as they went. Cummins sid that he got thrown from stage last time they played together and that he was going to get his revenge Disco Biscuits member Jon Gutwillig, seated a couple seats away. \nIndiana natives, Umphrey's McGee have had a big year, with a new album "Safety in Numbers" out since April, and tours across the country including a stop in Bloomington. Sold out shows and new albums come on the heels of what Joel described as a tough year for the band. \nA drunk driver killed a close friend of the band as he tried to meet up with them after the show. Joel said the band struggled through relationship problems and playing 130 -140 shows a year was wearing on the band. He said it helped playing with the new songs that people really relate to and that he was proud of. \n"Usually, a couple weeks after we put out an album I'm looking with self doubt," Cummins said. "I still feel really positive about this one though, so that's a good thing." \nA packed schedule will keep Umphrey's busy all year. They are playing a couple shows with Dave Mathews in July, and have plans to collaborate with Galactic, Bela Fleck, and Marc Broussard in addition to playing the Bean Blossom Festival in Indiana in August.