Where to go to feed your karaoke addiction

Bear's Place\nIf you are looking for a great karaoke time spent with friends, Bear's Place on 3rd Street is, well, the place. Thursday nights starting at 9 p.m. the back room throbs with the drunken warbles of college students having a good time. The DJ also has a good time, with a strong selection of music, and for a $2 cover charge the evening can be yours.

Bullwinkle's\nThursday nights are also when Bullwinkle's, normally a gay dance club and bar on Walnut Street, gets its kicks in with a karaoke evening. From 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. the stage is set for anyone willing to get up on it and rock out for $3. So when your group starts singing along to all of the songs in the bar, hustle them over to the Bull for some late-night magic.

Scotty's Brewhouse\nScotty's Brewhouse opts for a Friday night of karaoke, and for $3, the night is young. It's a large crowd, but the bonus is that you've got plenty of other people up on stage making idiots of themselves right along with you. \nWilly Joe's\nWilly Joe's, the neighborhood lesbian bar on 11th Street, located behind Upland Brewery, is an excellent place to revel in your Alanis side. With a small, enthusiastic crowd every Friday night until midnight, karaokers will have time for multiple sing-a-longs. Watch out for the Elvis impersonator.

Legends\nSaturdays, you'll find yourself heading down toward Legends, which is more than just a bar, discotheque, men's club, or strip joint. It also has karaoke from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. The locals are supportive, the waitress comes by regularly with test tube shots, and the atmosphere is hilarious. Watch out for drunken brawls when the bar finally closes at 3 a.m. and all of the different groups spill out of Legends respective front doors at the same time.

The Bluebird\nThe Bluebird, known for its excellent array of musical guests, hosts a smaller crowd of rock stars every Monday night with karaoke beginning at 9 p.m. Some people believe the bar can be over-crowded on the weekends, so for karaoke enthusiasts, this weeknight is the best night to be at the Bird, because the crowd is just right. Some consider it the best karaoke bar in Bloomington.

Cheeseburger in Paradise\nCheeseburger in Paradise, while considered more of a restaurant than a karaoke bar, has established its own karaoke niche. Every Thursday night it hosts a karaoke competition, with the winners receiving $25. While true karaoke addicts have already found (and most likely won) Cheeseburger's contest, the vast majority of drunk singers are still unaware of the adrenaline rush that comes from holding enough money in your hands to cover a couple of the big-as-your-head margaritas being sold at the bar. The singing starts at 8 p.m. and usually lasts until midnight.

Other Locations\n• Varsity Club, North Walnut Street, Fri day and Saturday nights\n• Office Lounge, 3rd Street past College Mall, Wednesday and Saturday nights, 10 p.m. \n• Cabin Lounge and Restaurant, 4015 S. State Rd. 446, Thursday nights, 7 p.m.