RPS still undecided on fate of Read McDonald's

Announcement expected within months on renewal of contract

Students are still lovin' it, but there's been no word from Residential Programs and Services yet if McDonald's will return to Read Center when its contract with the University runs out at the end of the 2006-07 school year.\n"There has been no decision," Director of Dining Services Sandra Fowlersaid in an e-mail. "Our representative from the Purchasing Department will send a Request for Proposal to interested vendors sometime within the next few weeks." \nRPS and Residence Hall Association representatives have said in the past that they are considering financial and health concerns regarding the restaurant's location at the residence hall. \nRPS had previously hoped to make its selection by March. Arby's and Wendy's have both been mentioned as possible replacements to McDonald's according to a October 31, 2005 Indiana Daily Student article.\n"My understanding is that RPS is starting their search in June," said Roland Long, the owner of all Bloomington McDonald's franchises. "They have not said we are not going to be back there."\nOne sticking point has been that RPS would like to be a franchise owner, and McDonald's historically only franchises to individuals.\nAn announcement is expected in the next two to three months.