Couple attacked near local bar

Police: Tuesday's assault being treated as hate crime

A 25-year-old Bloomington resident and his wife were attacked on North Walnut Street early Tuesday morning by several men on skateboards, in what police are calling a case of aggravated battery.\nAccording to police reports, the newlyweds, who are both black, were leaving Kilroy's Sports Bar and Grill at about closing time and heading to their vehicle when "three or four men began yelling racial slurs at them." Two of the men approached the man and hit him over the head, rendering him unconscious, police said. \nAfter her husband fell to the ground, the woman ran and retrieved their vehicle, which was close by. She then loaded him into the car and drove directly to Bloomington Hospital, Sgt. David Drake said, reading from the report. Though the victim said he thought he had been hit with a baseball bat, his wife identified the weapon as a skateboard, Drake said.\nOfficer Brandon Lopossa was called to the hospital at 4:15 a.m. and reported that there were numerous abrasions and lacerations to the victim's head. The victim said he had also suffered a concussion and had two bones dislocated in his arm, the police report said.\nThe suspects are described as white men in their early 20s, wearing dark clothing at the time of the incident. The victim said they all had shaved heads or were bald. The couple that was attacked had not had any contact with the perpetrators prior to the attack.\nThe case is being investigated by a Bloomington Police Department detective. In addition, the incident has been referred to the city's human rights council. Anyone with information on this or other crimes should contact BPD at 339-4477.