Campus members awarded for service

Sophomore Evan Holloway was shocked by the damage done to New Orleans last summer by Hurricane Katrina. But the damage he saw inspired him to help the region up close and personal.\nHolloway helped organize more than 200 students into Youth Advocating Leadership and Learning, known as Y'ALL, a group that has spent parts of the semester and spring break rebuilding areas the hurricane affected.\n"After we went down there again for spring break, we ran into some other students who said they got involved because they saw IU on TV," Holloway said.\nFor their work helping the damaged community, Y'ALL was honored with the Campus Program Award at the 19th Annual Division of Student Affairs Awards Reception Thursday afternoon in the Indiana Memorial Union.\nThe awards "recognize outstanding contributions to the division by students, staff, faculty and individuals in the Bloomington community," according to a press release.\nNancy Macklin, director of nursing at the IU Health Center, was recognized with the Shaffer Division Professional Staff Award for more than 30 years of dedication to healing students.\n"When I first came here, I'd go to events like this, and there would be people there who had been at the University for 20 or 30 years, and I'd wonder why people stay here that long," Macklin said. "Now I know because I have had that same, very satisfying experience here."\nThe Student Award was given to graduate student Danny Ambrose for his work with gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender services on campus during the past two years.\n"I'm a California boy, so when I came here, I was wondering if it would be for me," he said. "But now that I'm leaving, I'm definitely going to miss it."\nSchool of Education professor Elizabeth Boling, who has worked on the campus judicial board and was described by one person who nominated her as "frighteningly well-organized," thanked the crowd of faculty and staff for honoring her with the Gordon Faculty Award.\n"I feel very privileged to talk to students during what is often the most critical part of their lives," she said.\nAn award from the dean is nice, Holloway said, but for most, it's not the end of the road. For example, Y'ALL has made a commitment to help rebuild areas Hurricane Katrina affected for at least another three years.\n"We go down there, and people wonder why Ole Miss and other places like that aren't bringing as many people in to help, and I just say it's because at IU we're badasses," Holloway said.