'Batman' producer to speak to grads

Hoosier alum has earned 3 IU degrees

Michael Uslan, IU alumnus and noted Hollywood producer, will be the featured speaker at IU's commencement ceremony. Uslan, whose work includes producing the 2005 blockbuster "Batman Begins," will speak to IU-Bloomington graduates May 6 in Assembly Hall. \nUslan was recommended by IU Alumni Association President Ken Beckley. IU President Adam Herbert said he believed Uslan set a good example for graduates to follow.\n"Michael Uslan has earned three degrees from IU and proves the truth of this statement," Herbert said in a press release. "His career offers clear evidence of the fact that IU prepares students to follow their passion in imaginative ways."\nUslan graduated from IU with a bachelor's degree in history. He later garnered a master's degree from the School of Education in 1975 and a doctorate from the School of Law in 1976. Uslan has received several awards from the University, including the 2001 Distinguished Hoosier Award and the 2002 President's Circle Award.\nOn April 7, Uslan was inducted into the Academy of Law Alumni Fellows "for his outstanding achievements in the legal world and in the community at large," according to a press release. \nBeckley said the search committee recommended Uslan partially based upon his achievements while at IU, but mainly for the work he did after college. \n"Primary among (the criteria) is that the speaker be someone who would be of interest to the students, someone who has a national reputation and, most importantly, be someone who we believe will deliver a message of motivation, inspiration and challenge to the graduates," he said. \nBeckley went on to say he believes Uslan is a good choice for a speaker because his career after leaving IU was something graduates in the class of 2006 could emulate.\n"He's a model of what a graduate of our University can do after receiving his or her degrees from IU," Beckley said. \nUslan said he hoped to bring a message of encouragement to this year's graduates and show them how determination can help overcome any obstacle. He said he hoped to speak to graduates more personally, being an IU graduate who has been in their exact position before. \n"I was empowered by IU -- they gave me the tools I needed to achieve my goals, to succeed, to see my dreams come true," Uslan said. "When they slam the door in your face, you either go home and cry ... or you dust yourself off and go knocking again."\nUslan, a member of the class of 1973, is most noted for his role as executive producer of the movie "Batman," starring Michael Keaton, Kim Basinger and Jack Nicholson. He served the same role for subsequent movies in the series, including the latest installment, "Batman Begins." \nA committee tasked with finding a speaker for graduation reviewed and recommended Uslan. Comprised of students, faculty and staff, the committee made its recommendation to President Herbert, who then contacted Uslan about appearing at \ncommencement. \nUslan said he was "absolutely thrilled" when approached about speaking at commencement.\n"I love coming back (to IU)," he said. "I come back as often as I can. This is just a spectacular opportunity and honor they've given me"