To play or not to play, that is a stupid question

All around the world of baseball, Commissioner Bud Selig is being praised for announcing the World Baseball Classic -- a tournament which will highlight the worldwide talents of baseball's best in March. \nBut this "Classic" showcases the world's elite in baseball like the United Nations showcases the world's elite in intelligence.\nRight now, the WBC does not work, but it can. According to the rules, players are invited to play for their respective home countries. Yet, a player who worries about breaking a leg while playing in the WBC can reject the invitation. Scratch that -- a Major League Baseball player who worries about breaking a leg while playing in the WBC can reject the invitation.\nLet's look at one notoriously selfish player -- a guy who would walk with mirrors facing him at all times if it didn't impede other people's ability to admire his face. \nJohnny Damon? No, but close. \nBoston Red Sox outfielder Manny Ramirez rejected an invitation from the Dominican Republic with no reason. He is selfish Manny being selfish Manny. Ramirez came a day later to mandatory spring training, and in exchange the Red Sox made him reject the Dominican's invitation. Now that's commitment.\nThe WBC is marketed to us as the world's best in baseball on the same stage but instead, what we've received is a March Madness with the men who felt like showing up. There is a large percentage of great players in the WBC, but its worth whirls away in the wind with each rejection letter. \nThis is how the WBC should run: \nEvery country should host tryouts and afterward announce a 30-player roster, members of which will, short of injury, have to participate in the World Baseball Classic. Doctors certified by the WBC will examine all players. They can still renege commitments to their country on account of their injury. But the examination creates accountability and a reason, which if false, will shine a bright camera bulb from the media. \nThe "Classic" we've been sold allows players to drop out at will, has a limit of 65 pitches per pitcher in the first round, an 80-pitch limit in the second round and is played weeks before the Major League Baseball regular season.\nThe best players should play through injury. The best pitchers should pitch until fatigued and the Series itself should be played in December, not March. \nIf this is truly the World Baseball Classic, where the world's best play each other, then it is only fair that the largest portion of players possible play. If Major League Baseball is going to commit itself fully to this tournament, it must do so not only in ink but also in all of its players, using all of its resources.\nSo while his teammate David Ortiz is playing for the Dominican Republic, Ramirez will be relishing in trade rumors and relaxing in the rays of the Florida sun.\nSo go on, Manny. Good luck this season. And break a leg -- literally.