Stripping into shape

Striptease aerobics and other dance classes teach new ways to keep fit

Dancing for a workout is slowly making its way into the exercise market since Carmen Electra came out with her own aerobic striptease dance videos and Oprah Winfrey showcased Sheila Kelley's S Factor classes on her show. Bloomington offers similar classes for those willing to bust a move.\nThe Walnut Street Tap, formerly Axis Nightclub, offers striptease aerobics classes to women 21 and older Wednesday nights from 8 to 9 p.m. \nInstructor Sky Block came up with the idea after noticing other fitness clubs such as Crunch Fitness in Miami's South Beach and Chicago started providing striptease aerobics classes about five years ago. After looking and not finding anything similar in town, she now travels from Indianapolis just to teach the class. \nBlock, an IU alum, has been dancing since she was 8 years old. She was a member of the Bloomington North pom squad and worked at Axis choreographing routines for Saturday nights. \nThose who attend her classes can expect to learn a new eight-count routine during each class that incorporates stripping, lap dancing, floor routines or seductive dancing.\n"I read an article that said that women's emotions are directly related to body image," Block said. "By dancing, we feel more fit and therefore more sexy."\nSenior Emily Sauter is working with Block to promote the classes and looks forward to attending Wednesday nights. She says they are similar to some dance classes she has taken, but a lot sexier. \n"I've taken a lot of dance classes, but never a striptease aerobic class. These classes are more fun than running and less intense than the advanced step aerobic classes I take at the SRSC," Sauter said. "I've gained some good moves and stronger butt and thigh muscles -- you do a lot of squats."\nThe class might be titled "striptease aerobics," but there is no nudity. Block has those who attend bring a bra to wear on top of their shirt and a scarf to double as a belt. When participants are back home, they can practice and do the routine in full for their partner. \nAs for the aerobics part of the class, dancers will sweat and use muscles they don't regularly use. \n"Sky does a lot of warm-up activity that gets us comfortable doing the moves," Sauter said. "It's almost like you're hanging out with friends in a club. Sky encourages you to feel comfortable and sexy. You walk away with a great self-esteem boost."\nBlock emphasizes that her classes are for anyone and no prior dancing is necessary. Only a pair of gym shoes and some workout clothes are necessary. \n"I've taught moms and women who have had bypass surgery," Block said. "It's a lot of fun getting fit and meeting new people. I get to get in great shape and have fun while doing it."\nSingle classes are $15, four for $45, 10 for $120 or 16 for $120. \nOther classes that use dancing as an alternative form of exercise are offered at the Student Recreational Sports Center. The SRSC offers four different types of group exercise dance classes to students. These classes also do not require any experience. \nThe classes offered include a 45-minute hip-hop session to up-to-date music, a 45-minute jazz dance class, a 45-minute ballet fit sampler that helps improve posture, balance and strength, and a 30-minute middle eastern belly dancing sampler.\nFreshman Jenna Johnson attended hip-hop class with some students on her floor because she loves to dance and thought it would be a lot of fun.\nJohnson learned new dance moves and enjoyed watching the other participants take part in the dancing. \n"The atmosphere was really funny because all the girls from my floor dressed up in little '80s workout clothes and there were three guys in the class out of me actually getting rid of that second left foot," Wise said. "No matter how bad I may be, dance is something that is so much fun for me that I don't notice the workout I am getting. Hip-hop is definitely a workout."\nIU students working toward degrees in the Fitness Specialist program teach the jazz and hip-hop dance classes. \n"The teacher had more rhythm than the rest of the class combined and we all just fed off her excitement for the songs and the moves we were doing," Wise said. "I am sure there were times she could have bust up laughing at us trying to 'get down' but she never did. She was just cool."\nWise learned routines to Missy Elliot, Ciara and Ludacris. She warns those interested in attending a dance class to arrive early because they fill up quickly.\nFor more information and class times visit www.recsports.indiana.edu/index.php. For information on striptease classes visit www.indystriptease.com.