Hoosiers ready for first home game of season after spring break trip

Freshman Vicini gets first career start at Sembower

After playing 14 straight games away from home to open the season, the IU baseball team is ready to finally play a game in Bloomington. The road-weary Hoosiers face Valparaiso University today at Sembower Field. \nToday's game is the first of a four-game home stand for the Hoosiers, which includes a three-game series with Hartford University.\n"We are definitely ready to come home and get a chance to play on our home field and in front of our fans for once," senior pitcher Josh Lewis said. "It will be nice to be off the road for awhile."\nIU is currently 4-10 overall, and are returning from a spring break road trip in Bradenton, Fla. that saw them play seven games in seven days. The Hoosiers finished the trip 3-4, but several players flourished in the Florida sun.\nSenior Reggie Watson led an overall potent Hoosier-offensive attack during the seven game trip. The fleet-footed center fielder went 12-for-27 with 11 runs and seven stolen bases in as many attempts. Watson is also currently riding a team high eight-game hitting streak. \nOn the mound, Lewis distinguished himself with a complete game one-run victory against the University of Northern Iowa. Pitching coach Ty Neal said he hopes that kind of performance will provide some momentum for the rest of the staff as the Hoosiers open up the four-game home stand. \n"We got some good starts in Florida and we're starting to solidify our starting pitching, and our bullpen is starting to take shape as well," Neal said.\nFreshman Joe Vicini is the probable starter against the 2-8 Crusaders. Vicini has been stellar in relief, compiling a 1.32 ERA in five appearances with one save. But this will be the left-hander's first start of his collegiate career. Vicini will be opposed by sophomore John Snelten, who enters the game at 1-0 with a 3.86 ERA. Snelten is a control pitcher, having walked just three batters in 14 innings of work.\nValparaiso has lost three straight games, with the most recent setback a 9-0 loss to Indiana State University, whom IU beat 7-4 in Terre Haute. \nNeal said he sees today's game with the Crusaders as an opportunity to build momentum.\n"We should come out relaxed at home," he said. "There's no hotels, no buses, no plane rides to worry about. With these four games, we can gain a little momentum and with a win streak, gain some confidence too."\nWhile the Hoosiers are ready to return home, some players said they will miss the warm Florida weather. The game-time temperature is forecasted to be 33 degrees, with a strong chance of snow.\n"I'm ready to finally play a home game, I just wish it could be a little warmer when we actually play," senior pitcher Clint Crosier said.