Hoosiers pick up first win of season in return to Indiana

Smith earns first career win at IU's coaching helm

After six straight road losses to start the 2006 campaign, a return to its home state was just what the IU baseball team needed. \nBehind 4 2/3 innings of scoreless relief from freshman Joe Vicini, the Hoosiers picked up their first win of the season in a 7-4 defeat of Indiana State University at Sycamore Field in Terre Haute.\nVicini entered the game for starting pitcher Eric Wagner in the fourth inning with the bases loaded and no outs, and the Hoosiers holding a slim 5-3 lead. The freshman southpaw induced a groundball double play to the first batter he faced, rightfielder Tim Brewer, which plated one Sycamore run. Vicini then got designated hitter Chris Schmidt to pop out to the catcher to effectively quell the Sycamore rally.\n"That was the turning point of the game," said coach Tracy Smith. "Without that double play, the inning could have opened up and been a disaster for us, but Joe has a great mentality for a freshman and that allowed him to be so effective out there."\nVicini, who made just his second appearance of the season, said he has confidence in himself in tight situations.\n"My first appearance against Miami was almost exactly the same, so I know I have the ability to perform in those types of situations," he said. "I just go in there and try to throw my game, and that's worked out for me."\nNot only was the win the first of the season for the Hoosiers, but it was Smith's first as head coach of IU.\n"As a coaching staff, we weren't too concerned about the 0-6 start because of the competition we were playing, but it's always nice to get that first win," Smith said. "This team is learning how to win, and that's really the only ingredient this team is missing."\nThe Hoosiers jumped out on top early when a single by junior Michael Nilles plated two runs in the top half of the first inning. Wagner, making his second start of the season, kept the Sycamores at bay for the first two innings.\nThe Hoosiers pushed one run across in the third inning, a run manufactured entirely by centerfielder Reggie Watson. Watson singled to lead off the inning, stole second and third base, and took home when ISU catcher Nevin Ashley threw the ball away attempting to catch the speedy senior at third.\n"Any time I get on base, I'm looking to run," Watson said. "It just happened for me out there today on the base paths."\nThe Hoosiers built a 5-1 lead in the top of the fourth, which was highlighted by an RBI triple from freshman third baseman Andrew Means. The Sycamores quickly battled back in the bottom half of the inning with two runs and were on the verge of breaking the game open until Vicini, who has retired 22 of the 26 batters he has faced on the season, extinguished the ISU threat.\nIU added insurance runs in the fifth and eighth innings, including a one-out opposite field home run from left-handed senior Zach Boswell in the fifth.\nSophomore David Trager worked 1 1/3 scoreless innings to pick up the save for IU.\nThe 1-6 Hoosiers play their first home game of the season tomorrow at Sembower Field when they welcome Xavier University. The Musketeers are 5-7 on the season, and are coached by former IU assistant Scott Googins. The first pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m.