Football player arrested on suspicion of trespassing, intimidation

Bailey reportedly entered dorm room, snatched cell phone

IU Police Department officers arrested IU freshman football wide receiver James Bailey early Monday morning under suspicion of trespassing, intimidation and conversion -- a lesser theft charge -- said IUPD Lt. Jerry Minger, reading from the police report.\nBailey was taken to Monroe County Correctional Center and released at 4:50 a.m. Thursday, according to jail officials.\nA male reported that Bailey, with whom he said he had an altercation at a party about a month ago, came to his McNutt room and threatened to beat him up, Minger said, reading from the report. According to the report, the complainant said he then pulled out his cell phone and dialed 911. He said Bailey entered the room and snatched the phone away.\nPolice say a threatening verbal altercation ensued. Meanwhile, the 911 call had actually connected and was being recorded at the Monroe County central dispatch.\nThe complainant said Bailey left without giving his cell phone back.\nMinger said three IUPD officers went to Bailey's room and read him his rights. According to the report, he handed them the phone and confessed to the allegations.\nBailey was injured in March 2005 in a car accident, when an SUV he was traveling in was struck by a dump truck, according to an IDS article. In the following season, Bailey recorded 27 catches for 335 yards and three touchdowns. He was declared academically ineligible in early November 2005, sitting out the last two games of the football season, according to an IDS article.\n"We were made aware of the situation early this morning," said IU head football coach Terry Hoeppner in a statement Thursday. "We're currently in the process of gathering all the facts in the situation. We will proceed when the facts are complete."\nIU Director of Atheltic Media Relations Pete Rhoda said he could not comment further on the situation. Bailey was not available for contact by press time.