Youth exposed to jazz with local program

Jazz from Bloomington board member Monika Herzig is teaching elementary students about improvisation. However, IU music students might be surprised at Herzig's playful technique. \n"When we talk about how improvisation works, we explain that it's like a pizza," Herzig said. "Everyone gets to put a new topping on it, but it's all on the same crust." \nElementary school students from Brown, Greene, Lawrence, Owen and Monroe counties are currently benefiting from the third year of the Jazz in the Schools Program produced by Bloomington Arts Area Council and Jazz from Bloomington. In addition to live jazz performances, Jazz in the Schools has taught students from 12 elementary schools about the history and culture of jazz. \n"We call them 'informances' because they are both fun and educational at the same time," said Nancy Krueger, director of the Bloomington Area Arts Council. \n"Not only do the students have a fantastic time, but they also learn about the origins of jazz, how jazz evolved and African-American history."\nJazz in the Schools is particularly unique because it targets poorer, rural schools where students might not have had this opportunity before. \n"For many of these kids, this program isn't only the first time they've heard jazz, it's the first time they've heard music played by living, breathing people standing in front of them," said Pat Harbison, leader of one of the Jazz in the Schools' quintets and president of Jazz from Bloomington. \nThe program is made possible with support from jazz educator Jamey Aebersold, the Musician's Performance Trust Fund and the Indiana Arts Commission. \n"I had traveled down to southern Indiana on sabbatical and played with Jamey Aebersold, who had been doing these programs for years," Harbison said. "It was such a great experience. I thought, 'We have to get this going in Bloomington.'"\nHerzig said what strikes her about this program is the response from the students. \n"The kids really, really love it and appreciate it," Herzig said. "It can really be an eye-opening experience for them." \nIn addition to the live jazz performances, the Jazz in the Schools program also gives schools curriculum guides and a CD and DVD set, which were developed by an IU doctoral student in music education, Krueger said. "It's often hard for teachers to bring in new and interesting things because they have to get through so much curriculum, but this program allows for both," Kruger said, mentioning that the curriculum meets state standards in music, history and social studies. \n"Teachers can use these curriculum guides to teach the students about the history, culture and (the) importance of jazz, while at the same time, the students get to experience the fun of jazz." \nHarbison said the curriculum guides are particularly valuable because they show how music can cross all educational disciplines. \n"Music is culture and culture affects every aspect of our lives," he said.\nBoth Krueger and Harbison stressed the long-lasting benefits these programs offer students. \n"This program really teaches them to listen (actively) instead of passively, which most grown-ups don't even know how to do, and I'm not just talking about music," Harbison said.\nThe Jazz in the Schools performances will continue in Bloomington and the surrounding counties' elementary schools through March 28.