From the Editors

If you take a look at today's front page, you'll see a photo of an Ann Coulter protester holding up his middle finger. I want you to know the decision to run the photo was not arrived at impulsively.\nWhen the photographer, Aaron Bernstein, arrived with his cache of pictures, several of the audience shots stood out, including the one we ultimately decided to run. As per our code of ethics, we had an impromptu newsroom discussion to determine if the news value of the photo was profound enough to warrant its publication, considering some might be offended by its content.\nWe decided that the photo, showing the protester surrounded by many audience members clapping, was indicative of the sentiments of both Coulter dissenters and Coulter supporters. Also, the man's reaction is representative of a larger issue -- Coulter simply would not be paid the large amounts she receives to speak at universities if she didn't elicit such emotional responses. The protester is the reason Coulter was here Thursday night.\nWe ultimately chose the photo instead of another, which showed a man protesting alone, devoid of the context of Coulter's many supporters. We felt that photo would have depicted an audience 100 percent full of protesters, and that simply was not the case.\nAs always, let us know what you think. E-mail us at letters@indiana.edu or me personally at renewkir@indiana.edu.