Bowlers to knock pins for fundraiser

IU superheroes will take over Suburban Lanes two nights this week.\nBig Brothers Big Sisters will hold this year's superhero-themed Bowl for Kids' Sake IU Bowl fundraiser the evenings of Feb. 22 and 23. \nRevenue from the event supports about one-third of the organization's operating budget, said Renee Tetrick, an IU student and BBBS intern. Last year, the IU Bowl raised $20,000, and this year the organization's goal is $32,000.\nTo participate, five to six students create a team with a goal to raise $500.The teams then bring the money they raise to the IU Bowl bowling party from 9 to 10:30 p.m. or 10:30 p.m. to midnight on the night they registered to attend. \n"It's a huge party with friends, and you can support a great cause," Tetrick said.\nSince the theme of this year's event is "Superhero," attendees can dress as superheroes, and awards will go out to the best costume, best fundraiser and best banner. Teams are encouraged to create banners incorporating the superhero theme and drop them off at the BBBS office before the event. \nOn the second night of the bowl, Kilroy's Sports Bar will host Bowl for Kids' Sake Night, and the $2 cover will support Bowl for Kids' Sake. Tetrick said she hopes people will attend the bar event after the bowling party.\nIn addition to IU Bowl, BBBS is also holding its annual Community Bowl. \n"The theme of the Community Bowl is 'Academy Awards,'" said Beth Hannon, Bowl for Kids' Sake coordinator. "We're planning on having a red carpet and Oscar statuettes."\nLast year, the Community Bowl raised $142,000, and BBBS hopes the event will raise $176,000 this year, Hannon said. She said registration for this year's event is the highest in the event's history. \n"It's the biggest party in Bloomington," Hannon said. "Just with a fairly large cover charge."\nBBBS is a youth mentoring organization that serves more than 225,000 young people in 5,000 communities through a network of 470 agencies. Volunteers donate their time two to four times a month to provide children between the ages of 5 and 18 with the opportunity to interact with a positive role model. \nBBBS Director of Operations Andrea Smith said there are other ways to contribute to the organization. \n"There's a growing gap between the kids that have access to opportunities in our community," Smith said. "A lot of the kids we help have a single parent, a parent that didn't complete high school or are living in poverty."\nFor more information on the Bloomington chapter of BBBS, visit www.bigsindiana.org.\n"We're not changing the kids," Smith said. "But we're showing them what else is out there"