Bloomington Community Band seeks percussionist

The Bloomington Community Band, an all-adult volunteer band, has an opening for a percussionist. \nThe band, which has about 50 members, plays about 20 concerts a year at civic events and public gatherings in Monroe County and surrounding areas. \nThe band always welcomes new members, but it particularly needs a percussionist who can read music. No auditions are required and interested musicians can contact the band's director, Tim Moore, at 335-1093 or come to rehearsals, which are held from 7 to 9 p.m. on Monday nights at the St. Thomas Lutheran Church in Bloomington.\nMoore said the band welcomes IU students. The band's only requirement is that musicians are older than 18 and can read music.\n"Some of our best players over the years have been IU students," Moore said. \nThe band currently has no IU music majors. He said the band does get IU members from departments such as biology and chemistry.\nMoore said the band plays at events like the Third and High Festival, the Farmers Market and the Fourth of July Parade.\nBecky Robbins, personnel manager for the band and IU School of Law graduate, said a number of IU students have been with the band for some time. \n"We have a pretty intense summer program," Robbins said. "If an IU student knows they will be here over the summer, it's a great opportunity to play."\nAccording to the band's Web site, a community band has existed in Bloomington since the 19th century. The current band, however, began in 1978 with sponsorship from the Bloomington JayCees and a grant from the Indiana Arts Commission.\nSmith said the band serves two purposes. She said it provides a service to the community by playing at retirement homes, parks and other venues, and it provides an opportunity for adult musicians to play high-quality music. \n"Our typical musician is someone who played in junior high or high school," Robbins said. "They are usually someone who just missed playing and wants to start again"