Bailing out Bonds

Hank Aaron reached a total of 755 career home runs in 1974. When he passed The Babe he was welcomed by some and wearied by others. What hastened those to hate Hammerin' Hank was the color of his skin, not the content of his character. Aaron handled hate with the handle of his bat. He crystallized the emergence of the black athlete in baseball by breaking its most historic record. \nToday, a different black athlete has steered himself into the limelight -- the single home run record holder who is currently third overall in career home runs, Barry Bonds.\nBonds has been a controversial figure ever since his record-breaking 2001 season in which he hit 73 home runs. However, Bonds' discrimination is not based on the color of his skin, but by the content in his blood stream. \nOn Sunday, the Giants slugger told USA Today he plans to retire after this season -- with or without the home run record. Bonds contradicted himself hours later when he rephrased his remarks, declaring that he would play in 2007 if his surgically repaired knee is OK (the knee, which conveniently needed surgery in 2005, also marked the first season that players would be tested for anabolic steroids. Not that I'm trying to imply anything, though that last sentence may be seeped in sarcasm). \nHere is how I see the next two years of Bonds' career -- in 2006, if he hits between one and 27 home runs, he will leave the game with his reputation and Aaron's record intact. If Bonds hits more than 27 home runs he will not disappear from the diamond and will be back in 2007.\nFrankly, Bonds' decision is devious, but bright. With fewer than 20 home runs needed to erase Aaron's mark (which is what he would be doing), the entire baseball world will be ensconced in whether or not Barry will break the record. He will be like a musician in 2007 -- returning to the stage for one last encore. Here in lies Barry's brilliance. Anyone with a living, beating heart will want to see Bonds break the record in, seemingly, fewer than 20 at-bats. His critics will be hushed and his fans will be hallucinating -- tripping on the triumph without recognizing his natural achievement, in fact, as an achievement of science. They will never question its legitimacy. \nBut regardless of the 2006 outcome, if Bonds leaves without the record, if he really walks away from the game of baseball forever -- it will be the triumph of his guilty conscience. No baseball player would throw away the heroic legacy that Aaron has enjoyed for years. No baseball player in his right mind would walk away if he had knowingly built his career on hard, honest work, achieving his goals legitimately. Hmm ... knowingly? We'll get back to that word later. \nAaron played for 23 seasons, never hitting more than 45 home runs in a single season, chugging his way past the 715 home runs by Babe Ruth. His calling card was consistency. He is the only player in Major League history to hit at least 30 homers in 15 seasons and at least 20 homers in 20 seasons. \nAs it stands right now, Bonds remains 48 home runs from hallowing himself in the Halls of Baseball Fame. \nBut the baseball player with the magic swing has in fact memorialized his memories in misery, mere moments from reaching immortality.\nAnd immortality doesn't require a drug test.