'Annapolis' goes down hard

James Franco undergoes some Naval training in Annapolis.

It's about time someone made a movie about the United States Naval Academy. As one of the best and most competitive institutions in America, it is a great setting for a Hollywood movie. It is even better when one captures the hard work, intensity and mental strain that goes into trying to become a naval officer. However, this movie doesn't even manage to come close to mastering this feat.\n"Annapolis" is about local shipbuilder Jake Huard (James Franco) and his devotion to the United States Naval Academy, the place he has known and loved his entire life. Living as a man of mediocrity he tries to show everyone else that he can survive the rigorous demands and uncertainty that go along with the academy. \nThe plot ends up straying from the original story line of graduating from the academy, instead focusing on Jakes desire to beat Midshipman Cole (Tyrese) in the annual brigades boxing tournament.\nThe director (Justin Lin) puts such a strong focus on boxing that it gives the movie a resemblance to the "Rocky" series. It's almost so bad I half expected Franco to run up the stairs in front of the Philadelphia Museum of art or Mr. T to make an appearance. Even though the filmmakers try to remind the audience about the toughness of the academy, this attempt is undermined when romance erupts between Jake and one of his superior female officers.\nWhile "Annapolis" is quite entertaining, it gets KO-ed by its very inaccurate and vague portrayal of the academy. A person knowing anything about the rigourous inner workings of the United States Naval Academy can easily pick out flaws left and right, including students' behavior, the campus and the story itself.\nThis movie has been criticized thoroughly for it's lack of quality acting, but it's not as bad as anticipated. One big factor in this might be the fact that Tyrese does not have a large amount of screen time and is featured in a role that doesn't require top-notch acting. Don't plan on Tyrese getting any Academy Award nods.\nAll in all, "Annapolis" is not what is advertised, as there is little if any mention of boxing or a romantic side in the trailer. A better option for the weekend might be to go see something more dependable because there are no guarantees in the city of Annapolis.