IU drops 2nd consecutive Big Ten game in Assembly Hall

Hoosiers lose battle on boards, game to Gophers

Hanging high above Branch McCracken court, IU coach Sharon Versyp appeared on the scoreboard and proclaimed the keys to victory prior to Monday night's match-up with No. 17 Minnesota (10-3, 3-0 Big Ten). Number one on the list was dominating the boards.\nThat did not happen. \nMinnesota finished with six more rebounds than IU (8-7, 2-2 Big Ten), 13 offensive rebounds and a 69-64 victory.\nDespite hitting two consecutive three pointers to give themselves an early lead, the Hoosiers struggled in the first half. A 14-4 run put the Gophers up 24-18 with under six minutes to go in the opening period. A barrage of 3-pointers by Minnesota gave them a 12 point lead -- their largest of the game -- with 1:27 remaining in the half. \n"Our first half is what was the deciding factor," Versyp said. "They dominated the boards in the first half. We didn't play hard. They outplayed us in the first and we just didn't get the job done. I thought the second half we did well."\nThe Hoosiers started the second half on a 7-0 run and tied the game at 33. During the next three minutes the lead changed hands six times. The sixth was the final change of the game, as junior forward Jaime Broback started a 13-3 Minnesota run that would give the Gophers the lead for good. Broback finished with a game- and season-high 26 points.\n"I think this is a game I needed to step up," she said. "I think my main thing this game was just bringing confidence and playing hard for however long I was in the game. This is a great game to come off of with two big home games coming up for us."\nBroback did not do it alone for the Gophers. Sophomore guard Brittney Davis recorded a career-high 19 points and the bench contributed 33 points. The Hoosiers provided a balanced attack as well with four players scoring in double digits. However, the bench only accounted for seven points.\n"We need (the bench) to step up," Versyp said. "We're not to the point in our program where we are nine to 10 players deep like Minnesota. That takes time, we're young and it takes time to develop. We gotta do the little things and score some points here and there."\nAfter winning both of last season's match-ups with IU by a combined 31 points, Minnesota head coach Pam Borton was impressed by the Hoosiers' performance.\nHaving (senior guard Jenny) DeMuth back (from a torn ACL) is huge," Borton said. "Adding her gives them two difference makers on the floor that can score at will, with (senior guard Cyndi) Valentin and DeMuth. I think the difference for us tonight was on the boards. They had four players in double figures and we turned the ball over 11 times. You have to wonder how they didn't win the game. I think the difference was probably on the boards"