Hoosiers prepare for 'great challenge' against Buckeyes

For many Big Ten teams, winning conference games on the road is difficult. And winning more away games than home games is almost unheard of. \nExcept for the IU women's basketball team.\nThe Hoosiers (9-7, 3-2 Big Ten) have earned all three of their conference victories on the road. However, their two losses have both occurred in Assembly Hall.\nBut according to IU head coach Sharon Versyp, obtaining the fourth road win will not be an easy task, as the Hoosiers take on No. 7 Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio Thursday night.\n"Ohio State is obviously one of the best teams in the country," Versyp said. "They just have all-around great athletes, great defenders. They're gonna try to get up and down the floor as much as they can. They're gonna pressure us as much as they can. They're gonna look to take us out of our game."\nVersyp also said that the Hoosiers will need to take control of the game, mainly by containing the defending Big Ten Player of the Week, junior Jessica Davenport. The 6-foot-5 center is the conference's leading rebounder and third leading scorer, with 9.3 rebounds per game and 18.7 points per game, respectively.\n"We need to control the tempo," Versyp said. "We need to have Davenport have fewer touches. We can't let (sophomore guard Marscilla) Packer have wide open threes. We gotta dominate the boards and get to the foul line."\nSenior guard Cyndi Valentin knows the Hoosiers will need to be on top of their game to pull off a victory. After setting the NCAA Division I record for consecutive free throws made in a season in the team's last game against Northwestern, and ending the streak on the same night, Valentin is ready to put her personal accomplishments behind her and focus on the team. \n"I think in the Big Ten every game is gonna be a battle," she said. "Everyone is coming to play. (Ohio State has) been playing well and I'm sure they want to defend their home court. I'm sure they're gonna bring it at us. And we're gonna bring it at them too."\nEchoing her teammate's \nsentiments, junior forward Carrie Smith said the Hoosiers are prepared to enter into tough competition with the Buckeyes. \n"I feel like every team in the Big Ten wants to kick the other's butt," Smith said. "So whenever you come into a game, it's war."\nThroughout Big Ten play IU has proven to be a worthy adversary. The team's two losses, by a combined 10 points, have come against top 25 opponents. Against Ohio State, Versyp expects her team to play relaxed and confident in their ability. \n"It's a great challenge and a great opportunity for us," Versyp said. "We're fortunate in that we have nothing to lose. We're not under any pressure and we'll just go out and play the best basketball that we can"