Hoosiers make NCAA tourney field for 1st time

IU will play North Carolina in 1st round Saturday

The IU field hockey team packed The City Grille and watched the large-screen TV with anticipation as College Sports TV aired the NCAA tournament selection show Tuesday night. \nThe verdict was finally in -- "Indiana" was read, and the Hoosiers were in the NCAA tournament for the first time in school history. \n"Being in the tournament for the first time is such a thrill," said IU head coach Amy Robertson. "It was an amazing feeling to have everyone here at the same time and to see our name up there together."\nOnly the top eight teams receive seeds in the NCAA field hockey tournament. Other schools can make the tournament, but are just assigned a team to play since they do not receive seeds.\nThe Hoosiers will travel to Winston-Salem, N.C., to take on No. 5 University of North Carolina in the first round Saturday. Should the Hoosiers advance to the second round, they will likely face host school and three-time defending national champion Wake Forest University.\n"Our bracket is tough, and UNC's a good team, but we're a good team too," said sophomore goalkeeper Haley Exner. "We feel like we can play with and beat any team in the country, and this is our chance to prove it."\nDespite knowing they were a relative lock to get into the field of 16, some Hoosier players became nervous when they didn't see IU listed among the first three brackets.\n"I was confident we were going to get in, but it was making me nervous that it came down to the last bracket," said junior defensive back Morgan Miller. "But it was so exciting when our name was finally read."\nRobertson said she believes the fact that the team has already played at Wake Forest this year provides the Hoosiers with a distinct advantage.\n"We know the turf and we're familiar with the facilities at Wake Forest," Robertson said. "We feel very confident on that turf."\nShould the Hoosiers win their bracket, they will advance to the Final Four, which will be held in Louisville, Ky., Nov. 18 and 20. \n"The bracket is definitely challenging, but we're excited by the opportunity," Robertson said. "Our goal is to win the national championship, and it doesn't matter who we play, we're confident in our abilities"