Katrina relief efforts in Dunn Meadow fall short of expected $15,000 goal

Groups garner $2,500; inclimate weather blamed

Cool temperatures and overcast skies hindered the fund-raising efforts of the IU Hurricane Katrina Relief Program, which raised less than a quarter of its targeted goal at Friday's Hurricane Katrina Relief Festival.\nCoordinators of the festival named bad weather as the primary reason for not meeting their $15,000 goal. Festival co-coordinator and junior Natalie Borg said while nearly 1,000 students came through Dunn Meadow during the six-hour festival, the inclimate weather kept them from staying for any length of time or spending much money.\n"It was for a great cause and that's all that matters," Borg said. \nThe total money raked in at the festival was more than $2,500, which coordinators said was still a hefty part of about $10,000 that various student groups have raised over the course of last week's relief efforts. All programming was donation-based, and the proceeds from the festival will go to an as-yet-undecided local charity.\n"For what it was, it turned out really well," said relief program coordinator and senior Catie Eggert. "The greek turnout was really amazing." \nThe Helene G. Simon Hillel Center's Mardi Gras bead sale has so far garnered between $4,000 and $6,000, and the Red Cross Hurricane Katrina wristband sale has raised upwards of $5,000.\nEducational and fund-raising booths from 20 different student organizations were set up around Dunn Meadow Friday. Students flocked to the Pi Kappa Phi dunk tank and Chi Omega kissing booth, two of the more popular fund-raisers on the field. \n"It doesn't get old," said Pi Kappa Phi member Todd Waldman as he watched a student run up and hit the red button, promptly dunking one of his brothers. "Everyone's really coming out to support this effort."\nSenior Megan Selby, a member of White Anti-Racist Allies, said her group was attempting to inform students about racism and poverty in the New Orleans area and how it was affecting the relief effort. \n"Hopefully, people will feel more invested when they have more information about what's going on," she said.\nIn addition to the dance group Sequal, four bands, ranging from the Mitchell Street Band to The Nicotones, performed from 6 to 9 p.m. Other groups, such as the Student Recreational Sports Association and the Global Sales Leadership Club, gave out certificates, T-shirts, candy and made intricate balloon creations.\nIndiana Memorial Union Catering Services donated $2,000 worth of cookout food to the festival, and more than 60 prizes were raffled off throughout the evening's band performances.\nSenior Claire Tramm, the head of the Red Cross wristband effort, said she was pleased with the turnout and the support she's seen from the student body. \n"It was great to see all the student organizations come out for this event," she said. \nSales of the Red Cross Katrina wristbands and Hillel's Mardi Gras beads will continue throughout the week at sporting events and the Bloomington Lotus Festival.\nAs for the future fund-raising efforts of the IU Hurricane Katrina Relief Program, Eggert said the group will be meeting later this week to choose a charity and investigate more local fund-raising opportunities. \n"We're going to give it a couple weeks to figure out where we are going to go from here," Eggert added.