IU's incoming freshmen on display in scrimmage

INDIANAPOLIS -- The new faces of Hoosier basketball continued giving fans a glimpse of upcoming seasons Tuesday night as a statewide exhibition tour wound through Ben Davis High School in Indianapolis.\nJunior college transfer Earl Calloway teamed up with incoming freshmen Ben Allen and Joey Shaw in an exhibition game. The Hoosiers fell to a team of players from area high schools, 123-122.\nThe three newest Hoosiers will hope to follow the lead of last year's recruiting class of D.J. White, A.J. Ratliff, James Hardy and Robert Vaden, who all saw significant court time last season. \n"I'm just coming in trying to contribute," Calloway said. "Defense, leadership and just playing team ball -- and hopefully get to the tournament this year."\nCalloway, a 6-foot-1 junior college honorable mention All-American transfer from Georgia Perimeter College, showed his desire to one day man the point position in Assembly Hall. \nCalloway finished with 31 points while controlling tempo for much of the game. Most of his points came off aggressive drives to the basket, but Calloway also displayed his range by hitting some three pointers in transition. Although he has more than 25 points in back-to-back games, the team has gone 0-2 in the first two games of the statewide tour.\n"We are taking too many (losses)," Calloway said. "We a+ren't winning. We got to win. I don't like losing."\nTuesday's game added to an already packed basketball schedule for Allen, a 6-foot-10-inch center from Australia. After finishing his league play with the Australian Institute of Sport, Allen participated in a high school all-star game and competed for the Australian national team at the Under-21 World Championships this summer.\nThough having to take several breathers during the game, Allen gave Hoosier fans a glimpse of what he could provide to the Hoosiers in the upcoming seasons. He made several impressive post moves and showed his range by knocking down a three pointer on his way to a 15-point performance.\n"I think my inside-outside game is good," Allen said. "I can shoot the three, and I've got post moves that are pretty solid. I think I can step in right away and do that."\nThere were some noticeable absentees from the high school team when the two teams took the floor. O.J. Mayo, Bill Walker and Keenan Ellis were scheduled to play, but a death in the Mayo family prevented the trio from participating in the contest. Mayo and Walker are ranked as the no. 1 and 2 recruits in the class of 2007 by various recruiting sources and have expressed interest in playing for the Hoosiers.\nThe Ben Davis team came out hot in the early going and took the lead after the first five minutes of the game. The Hoosiers took back the lead soon after former Hoosier AJ Moye entered the game with loud applause from the crowd. \nAlthough Moye might have added the intensity, Calloway and potential IU recruit Deonta Vaughn stole the show in the first half. They connected on several passes while taking turns with the point guard duties. With seconds remaining in the first half, Vaughn stole the ball, gave an outlet pass to Calloway, who fed the ball to Moye for a dunk, which put an exclamation point on the first half. The Hoosiers led 63-60 at the break.\nFor the second straight game Vaughn had a solid performance for the Hoosiers, scoring 31 points. Vaughn has given a verbal commitment to IU, but will spend a season at a prep school in Cincinnati.\nThe Hoosiers skipped out to a 10-point lead in the early going of the second half, but Ben Davis kept the Hoosier lead to about five points for the half. A Ben Davis run gave them a one point lead with less than 30 seconds remaining, before Allen followed up a missed shot by Vaughn with 11 seconds remaining. A final desperation shot by Ben Davis was no good, but a last second tip cost the Hoosiers the game.\nMoye felt good about the youngsters, but after playing four years of Division I basketball, he knows the newcomers have much to learn, especially on the defensive side of the ball- as shown by the 123-122 final score.\n"Defensively, everyone as a freshman really doesn't have a clue what it takes to play college D," Moye said. "But these kids are talented. They are all pretty good"