Bloomington cyclists react to historic victory

Although he was thousands of miles away from Bloomington, the excitement of Lance Armstrong winning a seventh consecutive Tour de France was still very close to home Sunday. For cycling enthusiasts the Tour was a chance to cheer on one of their favorite cyclists and a USA hero. \n"We definitely watch and follow different stages whenever we get a chance," said Adam Hale, a mechanic at Bikesmiths Bicycle Shop at 112 S. College Ave. "It creates a buzz. It encourages people to get back on their own bikes when they see inspiring athletes."\nPossibly the most inspiring rider of all time, Armstrong is more motivating to some for his determination off the bike than his enormous collection of Parisian trophies. The Texan, who overcame testicular cancer in 1997, has been someone to look up to for numerous local riders, including 2005 Little 500 Champion sophomore Daniel Houchens. The Dodds House rider was sidelined from cycling and school for nearly a year after a car hit him while on a ride, leaving him with multiple injuries. After a year of physical therapy and countless hours of hard work Houchens powered back to the bike and his Dodds teammates. \n"I definitely look up to him a lot more because of my accident," Houchens said of Armstrong. "You appreciate the suffering in cycling a lot more after being in the hospital."\nFor local riders, Armstrong and his American teammates can provide some backing during hot summer rides on the hills of Bloomington. Senior and Kappa Alpha Theta cyclist Liz Milne said after watching the Tour with friends on the Outdoor Life Network or at the Bakehouse, it's easier to battle grueling rides when she thinks back to what the professionals are doing on each stage. \n"It makes things that we do seem a little easier," Milne said. "They're doing things that are 10 times harder than what we are. It's inspiring."\nMilne said she cheered for the whole Discovery Channel team including Armstrong and USA teammate George Hincapie, who finished 14th. With Armstrong's retirement this year Milne said the 2006 Tour will no doubt be something to watch with the yellow jersey up for grabs. \n"Next year is going to be really exciting," she said. "Riders will be changing teams and coming up to win. Too bad it won't be as popular without such an icon representing the event, but it'll still be popular. Lance just happens to be one of the best."\nHouchens, an adamant Armstrong fan, said the seven-time champion has brought some new faces to the sport of cycling.\n"Everybody gets really caught up in the moment," he said. "I think there's a 'Lance effect.' More people get into cycling once they watch him on TV."\nRecent graduate and Houchens' Dodds House teammate Craig Luekens agreed the 2006 race will be a whole new competition, but the sport will never again see someone like Armstrong, he said. \n"Next year is going to be a lot more exciting," Luekens said. "But it's been pretty neat to witness such greatness in this guy. We'll never see this again, that's for sure"