This year in TV

Ah, the television season is coming to an end. So many shows I never watched will be proudly running their season finales. So many shows I never watched will be canceled by the network big wigs. So many laughs I won't share. So many tears I won't shed. Ah, the memories I won't have.\nIt's been a turbulent year in television from what I've read on the Internet and overheard from my coworkers. Since it's the time for sad goodbyes, I thought I'd share my recap of the year in television: what I watched, what I didn't and everything in between.\nRecently, we've had to say goodbye to some of our best friends with series finales. Last year saw "Friends" go off the air and this year had "Everybody Loves Raymond" saying farewell. How can they do that? Just when I finally weaned myself off Prozac from "Friends," this happens! I've really considered counseling for this problem. But in all seriousness, I never really "loved" Raymond. Maybe I had respect for him, but not "love." The ads for the finale said it all: "the show will end just like it started" -- by me not watching it! \n"JAG" also said farewell, but I'm not worried because there are so many other military law shows for me to watch if I want. \n"NYPD Blue" is now over after teaming Dennis Franz with everyone from Jimmy Smits to Zack Morris. I think they should have done one more season and this time team him up with Donkey Lips from "Salute Your Shorts." \n"That '70s Show" all but had its series finale as two of the biggest stars, Ashton Kutcher and Topher Grace, are leaving. I tell you, they should just cancel it. It's just like when Richie left "Happy Days." It's a death knell.\nThe networks canceled a couple shows as well. \nI guess God didn't help "Joan of Arcadia" because it's gone now. My dad was always really into that show and made me watch it with him and I got to tell you, it's no worse than any of this other crap on TV. Plus, Amber Tamblyn is kind of hot. \nJohn Ritter's death killed "8 Simple Rules" and I say good riddance. I mean, I was a big fan of Ritter's work, especially the "Problem Child" movies, but it was stupid to keep the show after his death. There are no "rules" for dating the daughters once dad is dead. They can be sluts if they want. \nI have to feel sorry for Jason Alexander as another post-"Seinfeld" attempt was canceled in "Listen Up!" Really, Constanza, did it seem like a good idea to base a show off of Tony Kornheiser's life? I don't think so. \nRob Lowe has also been network kryptonite as "Dr. Vegas" is no more. Rob, don't you wish you didn't turn down "West Wing" now?\n"Carnivale" was also canceled, but "Carnivale" really sucked so I don't think anyone will notice.\nFOX made a smart move by keeping "Arrested Development" and moving it to Monday nights. They were almost going to cancel the show, but I guess they took a look at "Family Guy" and decided to give it more time.\nA flurry of new shows hit the airwaves with success. "LOST" turned out not to be a reality show, to my surprise. "Desperate Houswives" and another season of the "OC" added more sex to the lineups for those who need to live vicariously through TV. "Joey," the replacement of "Friends," also met my expectations by sucking hard core. Seriously, Matt LeBlanc needs an FCC violation for overuse of laugh tracks. They killed off Adriana La Serva for this?\nIn the news, Tom Brokaw said a sad goodbye, Dan Rather said a relieved one and Mickey Rooney whined about airline peanuts. I wonder who's next to go? I'm looking at you, Larry King...\nIn sports, the Artest incident officially became the most entertaining TV moment of the year. With the help of my dad's TiVo I dissected that thing as if it were the Zapruder film. From J.O.'s sliding uppercut to Tinsley's dustpan antics, it is classic.\nReality TV continued its same banal routine. The only thing that is different is that is looks like "American Idol" will get a country star. I suppose that will be best for their record sales.\nSummer premieres are actually exciting this year. FOX made another smart move by bringing back "Family Guy" and I have to say, it's just as good. Its sibling show "American Dad" is aight, but nothing to throw a party for. I'm pretty psyched about "The Corbert Report," a spin-off of "The Daily Show" starring Stephen Corbert. Another interesting prospect is "Hell's Kitchen" where an asshole British chef yells at his trainees. Since my dad is in the restaurant industry and is looking forward to this show, I'm actually kind of glad I won't be home this summer. I don't need him to be influenced by this show while I'm working for him.\nWell, if you were like me and missed some of this crappy shows this year, don't fret, there's more crap for next year. Jennifer Love Hewitt will talk to dead people (who probably act better than her), Geena Davis plays the president (I wouldn't have voted for her) and Henry Winkler and Jenna Elfman return to television … for some reason. Only shows I would consider watching are four intriguing reality shows. "Fire me … please" is a show where you compete to get fired first. Martha Stewart will have her own "Apprentice," INXS will have auditions for a new lead singer and Amy Grant will host a reality show.