IU to get back into swing in West Lafayette

After back-to-back third-place finishes, the men's golf team will head to West Lafayette looking for its second win of the year and first win of the spring season. The team will be well-rested heading into the tournament after having the last two weeks off.\n"It has been nice to take a little bit of a breather," said IU coach Mike Mayer. "We are now ready to get into the main part of our season."\nThe Hoosiers will take their No. 48 Golfweek magazine ranking into this weekend's Boilermaker Invitational during which they will face a tough field that includes three teams ranked in the top 50. This weekend will give the Hoosiers a chance to get an early look at their main competition for the Big Ten championship, Minnesota and Purdue. The conditions at the Brick Boilermaker Golf Complex could cause problems for the players this weekend with wind and rain making the course more difficult than usual.\n"We never know what the conditions will be like," said Mayer. "It doesn't matter, because we are going to come to play."\nWalk-on sophomore Aaron Harrell will make his second appearance for the Hoosiers this year after a solid showing at the Pioneer Classic. The four-year varsity player for Bedford North Lawrence high school overcame a foot injury last season to make the team.\n"For me, this is just a dream come true," Harrell said. "Listening to guys like (senior) Jeff (Overton) really has improved my game and allowed me to step up."\nThe senior Overton responded laughingly.\n"He can flat out play," Overton said. "That's why he's coming this weekend."\nThe Hoosier's schedule kicks up starting this weekend as the team will play four consecutive weekends, concluding with the Big Ten Championship May 6-8. The Hoosiers have continued to improve as the spring season has progressed and they are looking to peak at the right time.\n"I feel really good about the team heading into this schedule," said Mayer. "Especially the five players we are sending to tournaments."\n-- Contact Staff Writer Chris Engel at ccengel@indiana.edu.