Are the White Sox for real?

Something's happening on the south side of Chicago -- and it's making me happy.\nSome dub it 'Ozzieball' or 'smartball;' others think 'luck' might be a more accurate description for it.\nBut whatever you want to call the brand of ball the White Sox are playing so far, it's working. In its 104-year existence, the team has never begun a season as well as the 2005 campaign. \nBut I don't know if I can call them 'for real' just yet. It's early. \nThough they have led every game so far at some point, received solid pitching from all five starters and seem to get clutch hitting whenever it's been needed, it's only April.\nThat's the thing with these White Sox. The last few years they seem to drive the ball far off the tee and put themselves in the American League Central lead at and for a month or so after the All-Star Break. But when it really matters at the end of the season, they miss the gimme putt, bogey the last hole and give up their lead to the Minnesota Twins.\nEven with their 16-5 start, the Sox have been far from perfect. Too many errors, closer Shingo Takatsu's 7.94 ERA doesn't exactly exude confidence and their .300 team on-base percentage ranks among the lowest in the big leagues. \nAnd then there's that pesky Frank Thomas. Without a doubt the greatest player in White Sox history, his imminent return to the team from ankle injury should bring a smile to most Sox fans' faces. But Thomas' so-called 'bad attitude' could be the glass on the road to give Chicago's cruise down the highway a flat tire. \nIt's not that Thomas can't contribute to the team when he returns, but it appears as if he will surface in more of a platoon role, splitting time at designated hitter with Carl Everett. \nIf Thomas whines about playing time (which he likes to do), it could bring down team morale. \nManager Ozzie Guillen certainly didn't give Thomas much of a warm welcome home when he arrived back in Chicago on April 16. \n"It is good to have him here because now he can see a winning attitude, because he was part of the bad attitude," Guillen told the Chicago Tribune. "Frank was a big part of the bad attitude." \nDid he just mention Thomas was a big part of the bad attitude?\nHopefully, Thomas will keep his mouth shut and not worry about his own personal stats, Guillen's comments or playing time. This is a team built on pitching and defense, not the long ball. The new additions of catcher A.J. Pierzynski and outfielder Scott Podsednik fit well among the squad comprised of solid players with no true 'star' leading the way.\nThomas should realize that at his age and after a host of injuries the last couple seasons, he is no longer a big-name star in the league.\nHe will fit into the team rather nicely if he grasps this fact.\nThe Red Sox erased their 86-year-old World Series title drought last season, winning their first since 1918. The White Sox haven't won the World Series since 1917. Best start in 104 years, first World Series title in 87 years?\nIt's too early to tell, but something good is happening on the south side of Chicago. Here's to hoping it continues past April and the Big Hurt doesn't blow it.