Trying to find the spirit in St. Louis

Pat DeGain has been there twice without a win, now it's his last chance

Beginning Thursday, fifth-year senior Pat DeGain will step out into the circle, his fiancée and family watching from the stands, and try to outlast the toughest heavyweight competition in the country. Once the NCAA Championships for wrestling are all over, he will become just another student on campus.\n"It's hit me, but not to the point where it's overwhelmingly emotional," DeGain said. "I can't really tell you how I'm going to feel when it's over."\nAs team captain and the unquestioned leader of a large squad of Hoosier wrestlers going to the NCAA tournament at the Savvis Center in St. Louis, DeGain has been the guiding force behind one of the most successful seasons in the 13-year tenure of IU coach Duane Goldman. \nDespite battling a shoulder injury for the latter half of the Big Ten season, he finished the year with a 27-4 overall record, including 5-0 in the conference and a 4-2 record against ranked opponents. He will finish his college career with well over 100 victories, three appearances at NCAAs, and if all goes well next week, a high finish and that prized All-American status. \n"Pat's taken over and understood his influence and his role as team leader," Goldman said. "He's vocal and he's raised the level of the guys on the team by his leadership."\nJoining DeGain at the tournament will be three other Hoosiers with championship experience. Juniors Joe Dubuque, who finished as an All-American last year, and Brady Richardson will be making their second consecutive trip to nationals for IU. Senior Mike Simpson will also be making his second trip, though his first appearance was with Arizona State before transferring east to IU. He is also questionable due to a knee injury he suffered at Big Tens last week. In addition, redshirted freshmen Brandon Becker and Max Dean and sophomore Isaac Knable, the consensus surprise of the Big Ten Tournament, will be making their first NCAA appearances.\nAs DeGain leads the team out for the last time, he thinks that any emotion the squad may be feeling will be left out on the mat. \n"Everyone knows what they're there for," DeGain said. "I remember watching it on TV in sixth grade and saying I want to be there. Well, now it's time to produce."\nWhether he comes out on top or not, Dubuque believes that his friend and roommate will still be remembered fondly.\n"He's had a great career here and done a lot of things Hoosiers haven't done," he said. "I think he's going to be happy with where he finishes."\n-- Contact Staff Writer Andrew Petersen at andpeter@indiana.edu.