Team looks to build on fall success for spring championship

The men's golf team heads into the spring season this weekend with one goal: to focus on its game and let the rest fall into place.\n"Our main goal is to be focused, disciplined and to have mental control," said IU coach Mike Mayer. "If we do this, we will play up to our ability and the results will fall into place."\nThe team has high expectations as players start the season at the Hyatt Plantation Club Intercollegiate tournament in Puerto Rico this weekend. The field of 10 teams makes this tournament one of the smaller fields the Hoosiers will face this season. But with Golfweek magazine's No. 21, No. 25, No. 27 and No. 28-ranked teams looming, the field will be one of the deepest the No. 35 Hoosiers will face this spring.\nMany of the schools participating this weekend have already started their spring season and have the advantage of playing outside all year because of warm weather. \n"Hopefully we will overcome any rust there is, but we will not use that as an excuse," Mayer said. "If we are focused about our play, rust will be a non-factor."\nAlthough the Hoosiers have been restricted by the chilly Indiana winter, they have continued to work indoors on their game to prepare for the spring season.\n"Everyone is working hard during the winter workouts," said junior Scott Seibert. "We've also been lucky because we have been able to get on the course a few times because there has been less snow on the ground this winter."\nThe team has experienced constant improvement during Mayer's seven years as head coach. Last spring the Hoosiers earned their first NCAA Tournament berth since the 1996-1997 season. \nMayer hopes that the results will come if the Hoosiers keep their focus on the golf course. The team is aiming at winning the Big Ten Championship and advancing to the NCAA Tournament finals.\n"Minnesota and Purdue will give us a challenge in conference this season," Mayer said. "We want to walk away with the Big Ten Championship and follow that up with a NCAA Finals appearance and hopefully a national championship."\nMuch of the Hoosier success will depend on the play of senior captain Jeff Overton, who looks to build on last season's 20th place finish in the NCAA Individual Finals. Overton has a lot of momentum coming into his final season as a collegiate golfer. He is ranked No. 4 in Golfweek magazine's individual NCAA rankings and has gained valuable experience by his success at prestigious amateur events such as his semi-final appearance at the U.S. Amateur.\n"Playing in those events has really helped my game," Overton said. "The top amateur events are as difficult as the top college tournaments. I know I can play with the best and win if I play my game."\nOverton will be joined by fellow senior Heath Peters, juniors Brad Marek and Seibert and freshman Santiago Quirarte. Quirarte was a highly sought-after recruit from Mexico and has already had an immediate impact on the team.\n"Santiago had his ups and downs this fall like most freshmen do," Mayer said. "We will see this spring that he is no longer a freshman. He has a bright future here at IU."\nAs the team searches for its first Big Title in seven seasons and its first NCAA Championship, they must keep in mind their goal for the season -- focus, focus, focus.\n"We can win the Big Ten this year and contend at nationals. If we bond together keep our focus and put together scores when we need to, we can be a top 10 team in America," said Overton.\n-- Contact Staff Writer Chris Engel at ccengel@indiana.edu.