Library to unveil new addition

UITS, IUB libraries hold grand opening reception today

Only silence and the clicking of keyboards will be heard in the new Information Commons 2 beginning today. The newest installment of the Information Commons at the Main Library will officially open for quiet individual study and work this afternoon with a reception and brief remarks by Dean of University Libraries Suzanne Thorin and Dean of Information Technology Brad Wheeler.\nAlthough the 9,600 square-foot study space has been open since late February, library officials have waited on the grand opening while final touches were being completed. But that hasn't stopped students from steadily pouring into the newest work area, located on the second floor of the west tower, directly above the current Information Commons.\n"I was surprised the second day construction was complete. I walked out of my office and (the IC2) was filled," Thorin said. "We hadn't even announced the opening and it was already filled."\nThe IC2 is described as a scaled-down version of the first floor IC with 68 individual work stations that feature a computer at each desk and an additional 100 desks with space for laptop users to plug in and access wireless Internet.\nThe IC2 is dedicated to individual work while its downstairs counterpart is for collaborative and group-based work, said Interim Head of Information Commons for Undergraduate Services Diane Dallis. The IC2 also boasts plush couches and glass windows that overlook the Arboretum.\nThe IC and IC2, a collaboration between IU-Bloomington Libraries and University Information Technology Services, combine information and technology, said Chip Rondot, senior communications specialist for UITS. Both offer research or computer tech support from librarians, reference assistants and technology consultants during their open hours.\n"Students are getting the best strengths of each," Rondot said. "With this joint project, students can get what they want 24/7; it's not 9-to-5 anymore. When students are getting ready to study at 11 o'clock they can have that luxury."\nWhile some professors argue that technology has begun to take over where books once ruled, Dallis said that the combined 36,600 square feet of the IC and IC2 haven't made books second-class citizens. \nThe new IC2 houses a current, high-use core collection, which offers more than 15,000 books. Along with the core collection are new materials and books available to check out, which Dallis said hasn't seen a decrease. She also said much of the library materials have been added online, so a computer addition isn't seen as a problem.\n"A lot of library materials are online, so we don't mind that it shares space with the books," Dallis said.\nThorin said with the new additions, the Main Library now has more to offer, giving students the option of collaborative learning in the IC or quiet study in the new IC2. \n"I think this gives students interested in a quiet study area a place to go to hit the books and have a computer in a safe and attractive environment."\nIUB Libraries and UITS will host the official opening of the IC2 today from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the second floor of the west tower of the Main Library. The event is open to the public.\n-- Contact Senior Writer\nKatie Schoenbaechler at kmschoen@indiana.edu.