'Ice Princess' is actually cool

OK, I'll admit I asked my boyfriend and best friend and neither would go see "Ice Princess" with me over spring break. Lucky for me my cousin Maggie, who is in kindergarten, was free on a particularly dull Friday night and attended the opening of the latest Disney movie with me. I didn't have to twist Maggie's arm to go see what I thought would be another one of those ultra-girlie movies full of montages including skating, girls running around frantically and maybe a love interest. To my delight the movie was everything I had hoped; think "The Cutting Edge" meets "Center Stage." Excellent!\nThe movie focuses on brainy Casey, who is on the fast track to Harvard thanks to her overbearing mother, played by an unpleasantly unquirky Joan Cusack. While working on a school project, Casey slips into the competitive world of U.S. National figure skating and learns she has more natural talent than the three elite skaters she's been watching. Casey soon gets the chance to train with a former skating champion, played by Kim Cattrall. While Cattrall's teaching triple toe loops, all I could think was the last time I saw her she was having triple orgasms; she's come a long way from her "Sex and the City" days. \nTraining and balancing school isn't all smooth skating for Casey, and she's soon on thin ice (pun intended) with her mom when she has to decide between an academic life at Harvard and her fantasies of competing at the national level of figure skating. Without giving the end away, let's just say it wouldn't be a Disney movie if Casey didn't follow her dreams to a "happily ever after." \nWhile Disney has long escaped most of your vocabulary along with curfew, string beans and jump rope, I suggest giving this movie a chance -- at least when it hits video. "Ice Princess" is super-cute and has lots of laughs, plus it's a great chance to relive childhood for a quick hour and a half. And if not, it's always a good chance to see Kim Cattrall in a role that's not "Samantha" -- which is always a sight to see.